Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Maverick thermometer probe for Probe 26-inch Original Kettle  (Read 2188 times)

ghosttown

• Smokey Joe
I just picked up a 26inch kettle and I love it, I have a maverick thermometer for my Bradley smoker and I was wondering where would one run the probe through on the kettle? My last cook I just snapped the probe onto the grill but it was touching the metal grill. Has anybody done any modification to their unit?

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Re: Maverick thermometer probe for Probe 26-inch Original Kettle
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 09:43:48 AM »
Most of us just run the probe through a damper hole on the lid. 

I've thought about drilling a hole about an inch from the lid bale & using a heat-resistant grommet there. Problem is that you'd need to plug the hole whenever you don't use the probe.  For the money spent on a 26" & having to keep the plug handy, I prefer to not modify mine.
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Maverick thermometer probe for Probe 26-inch Original Kettle
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 09:49:19 AM »
First of all, Hello ghosttown! I normally run my probes up through the sweeps from the bottom. The unit I purchased didn't come with a grate clip so I generally use an onion or potato and just cut the bottom of the vegetable off so it sits flat then discard after the cook. That way I'm not closing the lid on a wire or having to finagle things around going through the lid vent.

Hey, did you purchase a new 26r? If so, would you mind telling me the charcoal grate diameter or take a pic?

Btw, dig the handle "ghosttown". Reminds me of every favorite "b" movie on the syfy channel.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 09:52:13 AM by Travis »

ghosttown

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 10:28:37 AM »
Sure here are some pics, as you can see the probe is touching the grill, not sure what other way I can hang it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8klq5xeufi01yx/20160522_125323.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7e2wq95dipzgpmc/image-20160522_164712.jpg?dl=0
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 10:30:48 AM by ghosttown »

ghosttown

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 10:43:24 AM »
I think next time I will just squeeze the clip so it fits in-between two grill lines.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Maverick thermometer probe for Probe 26-inch Original Kettle
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 10:59:08 AM »
Yeah bud, that's how those clips are meant to be used. Squeeze together, place between the grates and it will stay there keeping the thermo elevated. Nice grill for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 11:00:41 AM by Travis »

ghosttown

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 11:10:51 AM »
Thanks, you mentioned you ran the probe through the bottom, I assume you never had to completely close the bottom vent?

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 11:34:43 AM »
No. Just to close it down. Even at smoking temps, you'll have it cracked open enough as not to interfere with a wire.

Take some time a dig through some threads. There's a ton of tips and hints on here, and a lot of good guys. Also, you should head on over to the indroduction page as say what's up.

Good luck ghost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 03:17:08 PM »
Don't new kettles come with a silicone rubber gadget in a hole in the kettle to run probes thru?  Can we buy one from e-replacements?
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 03:17:45 PM »
Don't new kettles come with a silicone rubber gadget in a hole in the kettle to run probes thru?  Can we buy one from e-replacements?
The WSM's do

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 09:56:30 AM »
I've installed a clip on one of the handle studs and mount my temp probe there.  I run the wire through the top vent.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna