Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: To be considered as a classic or vintage also about Pat. Pending  (Read 2372 times)

greenweb

• WKC Performer
What (How old, type of model, or colors) qualifies specific kettle as a classic or vintage or even desirable.

Also, if it has Pat. Pending on it, is it considered  rare or desirable.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 07:14:47 AM by greenweb »

GregS

• WKC Performer
Re: To be considered as a classic or vintage also about Pat. Pending
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 07:20:17 AM »
it's all preference. 

for example, i only own oddball colors found mostly overseas.  all essentially new.

other people prefer vintage, others don't care. 

whatever works for you. 

nobody pays too much attention to old black kettles, unless they say "wood dale" or "chicago" on the vent. 

the best kettles were made in "palatine".   don't listen to anyone who says any different, ever. 

welcome! 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

BMitch

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 07:45:56 AM »
Roughly what age range were the kettles made in Palatine Ill?
Looking for green, red, blue mbh...  Acocado, yellow, or lime.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 05:35:03 PM »
I like to cook on vintage kettles, preferably rare colors and the ones that color shift.

That being said the one touch feature is really convenient, but I still love to cook on the older ones.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 06:33:00 PM »
Thanks for your input.

GregS and WNC both mentioned vintage. So, how do you classify it.  Is it anything older than year 2000 or 1980's for example.

I do agree about one's preference. I for one is in a " don't care" camp,  but like to know what general guideline is.  If there is one.

As for Pet Pending stamped -  I read few members mention this here .  I am just curious to what significance it has beside that patent not finalized yet. And why would Weber stamp it on.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 07:03:10 PM »
Thanks for your input.

GregS and WNC both mentioned vintage. So, how do you classify it.  Is it anything older than year 2000 or 1980's for example.

I do agree about one's preference. I for one is in a " don't care" camp,  but like to know what general guideline is.  If there is one.

As for Pet Pending stamped -  I read few members mention this here .  I am just curious to what significance it has beside that patent not finalized yet. And why would Weber stamp it on.

The PAT PENDING was for the patent filed for the friction leg socket design eliminating the need for thumbscrews to hold the legs in. Patent was filed on November 22, 1968 and granted on November 10th, 1970. However the PENDING continued to be stamped on kettles made from 1969-1972.

Now what's vintage mean, different things to different people. Personally, I consider anything pre 1983 (pre One Touch) to be vintage.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 05:39:01 AM by Craig »

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 07:21:42 PM »
For me, "vintage" ends when Weber discontinued the wood lid handle. The one exception to this "rule" is the Stainless Steel Performer, which is certainly a classic machine.

hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 08:07:06 PM »
I'm not sure if there are any hard and fast rules.  I guess it's all what your think.  I guess I wouldn't call a car from 2000 vintage....although my pick-up is a 1999 so maybe it's a vintage Nissan?  Personally I would say anything before 1980 is old enough to say vintage, but that's an opinion
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 07:11:24 AM »
A car becomes classic at 25 years , I don't see why a barbecue can't be considered classic if it's older than 25 ?  And I prefer rare to vintage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 09:17:14 AM »
Everything in my collection is a classic …. Or, at least someday they will be. 

There will come a day when the first edition SCG will be a classic …. Matter of perspective and opinion, I guess.  :) :)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 05:23:54 AM »
I think of using the word "classic" to describe the overall kettle design. I think that's one of the reasons I like 'em so much, that "classic Americana" look. So for me classic describes the styling of all kettles, and particularly non-one touch golds. While useful, I think the the ash bucket takes away from the classic look a little.