Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: No-no's for Performer?  (Read 2220 times)

eyevandy

• Smokey Joe
No-no's for Performer?
« on: May 27, 2016, 12:26:15 PM »
Moving up from a one-touch silver to a new Performer, which is a 400% increase in the value of my grill, I'm wanting to make sure I don't screw it up since I'll still have the older kettle around. Are there any techniques or accessories that could potentially damage the goodies on my Performer? I feel like I've heard other people mention a few things but I can't find where they were.

I have a Kettlepizza (the fancy one with the steel top) and plan to get a slow n sear. I seem to remember that I have to remove some plastic things on the lid holder for the KP which I am not crazy about doing. But also with both of those I'm going to have a big pile of fuel right on the side of the kettle. Is that problematic?

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Re: No-no's for Performer?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 12:42:26 PM »
The bale rollers can't take the heat when cranking the heat for pizza cooks.  If you're gonna keep the Silver, I'd make that my "sacrificial" high heat/pizza grill. After awhile, you'll notice crazing to the porcelain on the high-heat kettle.
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 12:46:08 PM »
⬆️⬆️⬆️ What brewtown said. Definitely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 04:11:01 PM »
If your performer is colored, don't go overboard with the gas starter becuase the extreme heat will crack to lower bowl porcelain on that side
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

eyevandy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 05:01:29 PM »
If your performer is colored, don't go overboard with the gas starter becuase the extreme heat will crack to lower bowl porcelain on that side

Oh, good to know. It's a crimson deluxe. But I only got it because I gotta have red ... I don't really need the ignition. I use a heat gun and a BBQ dragon. Knowing this I'll just never use it.

It's sounding like, if I'm not spreading a chimney of charcoal, I should use my Silver.

Thanks for the info guys. This seems like an awesome board.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 05:15:33 PM »
It's ok to spread your coals, but you'll use the included baskets more often than not.
Still need a 22” yellow

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 05:29:09 PM »
Someone had a problem with damage/melting  to the plastic bin when high heat coals were banked to the table side.  Wonder how likely that would be.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 05:48:26 PM »
This is just my opinion and I don't want to offend anyone by saying this but....these things are made to be used and made to cook.  Maybe not 1000+ degree kettle pizza cooks every night or using the coal starter to start 20 chimneys in a row.  I haven't melted my plastic table, coal bin, rollers, or anything yet using a kettle pizza or vortexing or any number of the no-no situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 06:11:47 PM »
Use the baskets..

I alwaysnhave one basket gas assist side and never had an issue with the bin melting
Grills

stellato1976

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 07:06:34 PM »
Someone had a problem with damage/melting  to the plastic bin when high heat coals were banked to the table side.  Wonder how likely that would be.
  that would have been me melting the bin...lol  Weber did replace no charge
Stay grilling  my friends!!!!

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 12:50:02 AM »
I've never had any heat related issues with any of my Performers and I use the propane
lighter every time, the lid roller on my Grass Green Performer were shot when I got it and
show no signs of further damage since I have owned it, the table is stained but otherwise
undamaged and the Green one is my go to, (at least 3 cooks a week) cooker that regularly
see's temps of 350 ~ 450 with 500 just after a fully lit chimney dump. The Green is also
my go to low n slow smoker with 225 to 275 for hours that bring beautiful smokey
goodness to the table..
I personally would use a cheap, used black OTS or OTG for a pizza oven..   
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..