Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Kettle Therm Mod  (Read 2426 times)

griller27

• Happy Cooker
Weber Kettle Therm Mod
« on: May 21, 2016, 05:24:05 PM »
Saw another weber grill owner over on bbq brethren who did this mod. I got real brave and did it for myself. VERY happy with it. Makes it convenient the the temp probes. I don't have to worry about the lid either. Tried beer can chicken tonight. It went VERY well. Well, i tried to post a pic of my mod but I can't figure out how to do so. Let me know and I'll show you a pic.

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber Kettle Therm Mod
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 05:57:33 PM »
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

griller27

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 07:08:36 PM »
Thanks Harbormaster, here goes:

I used a 3/4 inch conduit connector to pass my probes through on my OTG. I was pretty nervous about drilling into it but I hit up a few websites and just started with a small pilot hole and worked my way up. I like the results. I also like not having to worry about the wires getting in the way of the lid. As you can see, I cooked some beer can chicken and it turned out really well.

bthorn9435

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 03:39:11 AM »
Why use a 3/4 Conduit Connector? I would think this would affect airflow in the kettle vs your settings on the bottom. Nice mod but if it were me
 i would have simply ordered the grommet that comes standard on all new Weber Smokey Mountain Cookers.
If I ever do a mod like that I think i will drill it in between one of the handles so it is hidden. I give you props for extreme levels of bravery in modding your kettle!
I guess you could find a cap to screw on to the connector when your not using it.
2013 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain, 2007 Gen2 Performer w/Deep Ocean Blue Kettle Mod
68-70 Patent Pending 22.5 Daisy Wheel Red. 2021 Deep Ocean Blue Master Touch. 2013 22.5 Black One Touch Gold
2021 Ivory Smokey Joe

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 03:49:27 AM »
I agree with it letting in too much air.  Why not use the new grommet from the WSM for it?  Easy to push through and seals itself.

griller27

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 05:45:23 AM »
I plan on getting a magnet to cover the hole. That should take care of any airflow issues. I saw somebody else who did this and I liked it so I went for it. It does make life easier in terms of getting the probe wires out of your way while cooking. Cant complain about that at all!!

griller27

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 05:17:16 PM »
Here is the website I originally got the idea from:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197955

Remmy700P

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 01:51:23 PM »
Here's how I did mine:

And a thermo:

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 04:17:27 PM »
What thermometer is that?  How accurate is it?  I'd like to do something similar.  Thanks,
Don
Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!