Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tri tip is awesome  (Read 1582 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Tri tip is awesome
« on: May 20, 2016, 04:32:58 PM »
I've had it twice at a local BBQ chain, 4Rivers. The first time it was good and an enjoyable new texture. The second time (3 months later) it was overdone by a long shot..probably medium well.

At work this morning I got an email from grocer Earthfare and said it had tri tip on sale..immediately I had the itch to try cooking it myself. Unfortunately that store was out of it but that did not deter my plan. Thankfully Publix had some and I was set for my dinner plans.

Well I got outta work later than expected and still had errands to run; long story short I felt ill prepared for the cook.

My concerns were at ease once my mouth experienced this:

I did a reverse sear, with an indirect temp of 350-400..too much fuel, but no matter. The baby Yukon taters were roasted in a cast iron skillet, veggies in a Weber grill basket. Not pictured is the cod I grilled for my wife. I love the capacity of the 26er  8)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 05:36:05 PM by jdefran »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Tri tip is awesome
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 06:12:44 PM »
I LOVE tri tip, and looks like you nailed it, jd!

So, you did a tri tip, skillet taters, basket veggies, and cod all on one grill??? Man, that 26r is MY holy grail, grill. Tfs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 04:49:49 AM »
I so wanted a 26 but really wanted the Performer too so that is what I have but waiting for the day that Weber offers a 26" Performer.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 04:56:14 AM »
Nice tritip! It's one of our favorites to grill up.

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 04:23:27 AM »
I LOVE tri tip, and looks like you nailed it, jd!

So, you did a tri tip, skillet taters, basket veggies, and cod all on one grill??? Man, that 26r is MY holy grail, grill. Tfs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@Travis I cooked the cod and basket of veggies while the tri-tip rested and I got my temps higher for searing. The taters remained in place the entire time..straddling the direct and indirect side.

I need to get better at taking photos while cooking..

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 07:34:56 PM »
@jdefran you aren't from anywhere near California are you? It's a staple here, most of the tri-tip in the country gets sent our way.

Nice cook on yours!

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 02:19:24 AM »
@austin87 Sure ain't, I'm in Florida. Wish it was more of a staple here, $8.69/lb seemed a bit steep.