Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grilling Salmon?  (Read 3827 times)

cnmg432

• Smokey Joe
Grilling Salmon?
« on: April 22, 2016, 04:56:19 AM »
I have a couple packages of frozen salmon setting out.  I have never grilled salmon before.   How do I season or marinade it?  I would rather have something fairly simple that I don't have to go buy ingredients for.  Also direct or indirect?  Can I use my new slow n sear?  I might add these fillets have skin on one side.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 05:03:43 AM by cnmg432 »

dazzo

• WKC Performer
Re: Grilling Salmon?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 05:40:22 AM »

I'm sure this will be one of many responses you'll get. And I'm am by no means an expert in salmon, but last weekend, I grilled some fillets and steaks for my granddaughter and they came out great     ;D

Indirect, fillet skin side down. Steak on parchment paper. I used a plank for both (because I have a stack I've never used). I've placed it on foil before just fine.

And then just let them bake until they start to flake. Finish with a brush of teriyaki sauce (Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki)

Teriyaki Salmon - simple and veri good     8)

Have fun
Dude, relax your chicken.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 09:25:34 AM »
A really easy salmon marinade:  Put in a zip lock bag for 2 hours and turn throughout.

1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil

I usually go about 12-15 minutes indirect and then will move over to direct just to give it a little crunch around the edges.  If you have skin on you can go over the heat longer.   Just until the fish flakes easily with a fork.   

@cnmg432

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 09:42:09 AM »
I've done all mine indirect. I'm scared of doing fish direct. If the black skin sticks to the grill so be it. Otherwise remove it when plated, etc.

Here's 2 fillets I did, very straightforward cook, part of this extravaganza from this time last year, http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/the-tale-of-three-fish/msg157114/#msg157114 :

Same idea, but with a sugary-based citrus glaze which is delicious on salmon, http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/salmon-filets/msg138158/#msg138158 :

Another of glazed fillets, the color was amazing. Probably a maple-based glaze even though it says "bourbon," very common for salmon. http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/bourbon-glazed-cedar-planked-salmon-filets/msg204472/

Most people, when using a cedar or other plank, do them direct. I don't, just habit. Takes longer this way but works very well.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 07:13:55 PM »
I like to go basic as well. A little oil, salt n pepper, one lemon, basil and a plank.

I use two baskets, placed on both sides of the grill. Pre heat the plank until it's "popping" then moved to the middle, smooth side up. Sear the salmon on the WELL OILED GRATE until it releases and then put in on the plank indirect. "My" dome temp reading 400ish. I put a couple lemon slices on it for moisture. About the last 10 minutes or so, I'll put on the dill.

After its flaky, I'll take it off and squeeze the other half of lemon over it and serve with some honey mustard and rice.

Think I'm going to try ats' bourbon glaze next though. That looks guuuudd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 07:52:54 PM »
This is what I have been doing with Salmon/Steelhead for about 30 years that a friends dad showed me. Nothing fancy. CBP, Johnnys seasoning salt (or other), Brown sugar, fresh pressed Garlic and fresh Dill. Cook indirect 350+- with a little Apple for smoke until fish flakes easily. I put the filets skin side down on Aluminum foil. Squeeze of fresh Lemon if desired.

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 03:01:16 PM »
Sugar brine, let pellicle form, hot smoke.   Yummy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

huntergreen

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 06:17:21 AM »
i have used italian dressing,   lime juice and honey as a glaze for salmon and other fish and i always cook indirect.

juno

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 07:04:13 AM »
I usually season mine with olive oil and Herbs de Provence, or sometimes with Indian spices. 
My tried and true method is to use a plank.  I generally heat up an almost full chimney then dump it and spread it evenly.
Let it sit for 20 minutes to half an hour.
Place room temp seasoned salmon on Alder or some other plank on to the center of the grill grate.  DO NOT SOAK THE PLANK
Check in 20 mins for 145 temp. 15 mins if it is a thin piece.  My performer temp is usually around 400 during this.
Use spatula to remove fish from skin.  Sometimes i then place it directly on the grate for 30 seconds, sometimes not.  My wife prefers if i do that so it isnt wet.

neither of us like to eat the skin.

Another way I do it is direct over medium high heat.  Start flesh side down.  5 mins or so depending on thickness.  Flip and do the same amount of time skin side down. when it releases easily from the skin its done. 

I dont use marinades and stay away from anything sugary or sticky.  Sometimes I will just use olive oil, salt pepper, lemon juice and dill.  Salmon is really really easy to cook.

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 05:54:43 AM »
Im a soaker, 2 hours in the water, it gives me the right amount of smoke and I'm able to reuse each plank easier because it's not burnt to a crisp. I put a layer of unlit between 2 fire bricks about 1 inch extra on each side of the plank then dump a full mini chimney on top, let it come to whatever temp it wants then on goes the plank. I check at about 30 and look for the fat ooze.

I usually sprinkle a small amount of whatever rub I'm liking then a heavy dose of dill all rubbed in with evoo.
WTB: Genesis Jr.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 01:52:40 PM »
@cnmg432 did you grill any salmon yet?  I may be weird but I do it all the time. Have a steak in a dry sugar brine at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Erich

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 06:45:07 AM »
Indirect as others say, skin side down.  Brush with a mix of Olive oil, garlic and fresh rosemary.