Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Removing JB Weld from 1978 Dark Green kettle  (Read 1091 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Removing JB Weld from 1978 Dark Green kettle
« on: January 06, 2017, 06:58:27 PM »
Well, I've removed 99% the spray paint from the 1978 Dark Green kettle.  It looks great overall, but there is JB weld on the inside and exterior of the lid of the kettle, theoretically holding the lid handle on?  I would really like to remove the JB weld from the inside of the lid especially...I don't think I want that inside something I use to cook with.  I've looked at things online that suggest heating it up with a heat gun, or soaking in acetone, but I was curious if any of you have any suggestions...I've chipped away a fair amount on the exterior with the razor scraper, but it won't budge on the thicker interior deposits...

This kettle is BEAUTIFUL, but for the life of me, I cannot understand why the previous owner did all this.  There are NO dings on the kettle lid, and only two small areas of missing paint on the bowl.  Leg sockets were SOLID.  And yet, he painted a glossy dark green kettle with dark green spray paint. 

Pics to come, but let me know your thoughts about removing it.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: Removing JB Weld from 1978 Dark Green kettle
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 07:18:54 PM »
Dremel
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Removing JB Weld from 1978 Dark Green kettle
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 07:46:52 PM »
Yeah, J. I would say a slow and steady dremel. If its holding the handle down then maybe re-attach it with some ss nuts n bolts. Never know until it's down to metal. Maybe it had a rusty spot and they just loaded her down with jb. Let us know. Very interested in your project!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Removing JB Weld from 1978 Dark Green kettle
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 09:04:34 AM »
I'm guessing at this point its been cooked on enough to remove any nastiness you don't want inside the kettle????  (sounds legit)  Dremel will do the trick through!  You can probably use a wire wheel in a dremel and see if that removes it.  I don't think a wire wheel will remove the porcelain, so it would be safer than a grinding wheel if it does in fact remove the JB weld.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!