Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Waterproofing Maverick Probes w/Heat shrink tubing ???  (Read 1448 times)

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
Waterproofing Maverick Probes w/Heat shrink tubing ???
« on: May 07, 2016, 10:22:53 AM »
Anyone do it successfully?
Which Heat shrink tubing on Amazon should I buy?
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Waterproofing Maverick Probes w/Heat shrink tubing ???
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 12:02:02 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't bother.

I've never had a probe go out due to water (only fire)
even the original probes that are 5+ years old still work.

the trick is to not submerge them in water.
I was the probe itself with a semi-wet scrubby sponge. I scrub until its metal colored again. Then i wipe the probe and its cable down with a couple clorox wipes, then i store them in a little tupperware thing.

If you run everything under water, they're going to fail.
shrink tubing isn't going to save the day. the cable protector itself is woven, it will wick water very easily.

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 01:44:09 PM »
So not on the set I use now but I have used this Waterproof Marine Heat Shrink tube from Harbor Freight.  I has a heat activated adhesive that seals the connection.  Worked great. 
http://www.harborfreight.com/42-piece-marine-heat-shrink-tubing-67598.html

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 07:20:54 PM »
one probe is for temp, it gets a light rub down with sponge ... I let it and its cable stay mostly black. The other probe, for meat gets cleaner. Neither get submerged.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch