Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How many gills do you "need"?  (Read 5114 times)

TheDude

• WKC Performer
How many gills do you "need"?
« on: May 01, 2016, 07:46:59 PM »
This was this past Wednesday. To have everything come off, at the close to the same time... I couldn't have used less hardware.

Still need a 22” yellow

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
Re: How many gills do you "need"?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 07:56:08 PM »
Yes you do, you have plenty of yard left!
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 08:31:27 PM »
Usually have two kettles going at once.  I have a third which is my restored H-code 22" Brownie.  I'm still reluctant to use it and get it dirty.  I know they are ment to be used not just lookers.  I will probally find another cheap one somewhere for another workhorse cooker.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 09:24:13 PM »
Need??   

all of them

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 12:58:07 AM »
According to my latest spreadsheet, it appears as though I currently need 41  ;D

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 04:53:20 AM »
"need"......all of them damn it, all of them :)
-Keith

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 05:55:40 AM »
Looks to me like you got a great setup there brother!

I have 5 cookers and like to have a couple going also even if I really don't need to. Just love to use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 07:22:32 AM »
I have a gasser for quick stuff like if my grand daughter wants a simple hot dog or burger.  I have my Platinum Performer for most everything I do and a OTG for when I need two bigger things at one.  Those are my 3 I use all the time.  Thinking of getting an 18.5 WSM for longer cooks over 5 hours and that will complete what I really need and would use.   So I guess 4  total. 
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 07:38:15 AM »
My wife was with her friends this weekend...

"A Weber club??"

"Yes"

"Do they get a new bbq every month?"

"YES!"

;D

Dude, relax your chicken.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 09:42:31 AM »
I'm still figuring out what I want. Most of us have more than we "need" already. The Performer stays. I now have two 18's (daisy wheel and OTS), but despite that size making sense at one time might purge both, for good. The Jumbo Joe stays. It has a weird clarity of purpose and configuration I can't get with my full size 18s, and the inherent portability is a major plus.

My two 26's (one here, one elsewhere) both require more parts than I might want to invest ... I suspect a new-style 26 would be a wonderful luxury for me, with its ash can, SS grate and lid bale ... but oy! the cost.

I vividly remember how excited I was snagging my 18 WSM but it's mostly gone unused. Not sure I should keep it; too big for anything I've done yet, not big enough to lay full ribs flat.  That prompted me building a mini WSM, but now that used 14 WSM's are sometimes available, it makes my learning curve with the mini WSM all the more frustrating .... and then there's the knowledge that a 22 or 26 make a great smoker.

Lemme do some math here .... purge 900, 18" WSM, 2 18ers, an old 26 ... I might be half way to a new 26 and call it good! Is such a decision possible?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 10:06:27 AM »
The more I get, the more I find I need.

I know I've seen this topic come up a few times (http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/how-many-kettles-do-you-need!/msg210723/#msg210723) and my answer evolves.

In my cooks over the last couple of weeks I've used my Gen2 performer, Genesis, WSM, 26" and Sam Adams 18", without really making it a point to using any of them-they just seemed like the right tool for those jobs.  My 22" that I use for high heat stuff got subbed out at the last minute but its in pretty regular rotation too.  I would say that the first 4 are the ones that I really would not want to do without, along with something to take to tailgates (currently have Weber Q and 2 SJGs for that) and that the extra 22/beater kettle and an 18" of some type come in handy.  So that's 7 that I can come up with a legitimate reason to have.

The 26"er definitely held true to what everybody said, in that you don't know you need that much space until you have it and then, man is it a pleasant grilling experience.  Last week I had ribs going on the WSM, and on the 26, put on two big foiled packets of potatoes, 3 sausages, 4 burgers and 6 hot dogs, and had plenty of room to move things around, utilize the indirect space, etc...  I also find it comes in very handy when cooking a whole mess of something for the week, like a couple pounds of chicken thighs indirect.  I'd always struggle with crowding/too close to the direct section trying to do that on a 22".

The performer is similar in that everybody said its awesome and will become your favorite grill.  That's true (and when you have both, you'll realize why everybody says the 26" performer would be the perfect grill).  I use the ignitor all the time on mine, even if cooking on something else, and that's generally where my current bag of charcoal, chimneys and grill brushes are stored.  My performer is sort of my BBQ hub, where even if I'm not cooking on it, I'm using the table, lighting the coals, storing charcoal, etc...

The gasser is for when the GF is handling cooking (a priceless comment from her, when she was tasked with helping on the aforementioned 26" cook "Charcoal just doesn't get as hot"  My response "That's because you have the lid off!"-she has no desire to consider using charcoal), quick stuff for after work or finishing something off when the coals are mostly kicked, a cook is almost done, and I just don't feel like adding anymore.  Plus its an original generation red Genny so its pretty fun to use.

The WSM is for my smoking-its just so easy.  It does its thing and I don't really have to fuss with it too much.

I have 2 SJGs and a Weber Q that cover my portability needs.  Usually the Q, which also gets the call as a warming station or just extra space for burgers or dogs at a big party.

The 18's smaller footprint is great for the deck, and I usually fire it up if I'm just making lunch for one or two.  It would get more use if it wasn't away from the rest of the herd.

Then I have a beater 22" red that I like and is already in rough shape (prior life, not my fault).  I can use it for high heat and not feel guilty, while still cooking on a red.

An extra, black SSP is trying to quietly worm its way into the rotation, to take some of the abuse off of the 22" red and/or be a dedicated pizza/steak cooker.

So, I think that my "needs" are currently 8.  My "haves" are more than that.  (think the current count is 18). There's a bunch of other reds, a thumbscrew black and a limey.  The explanation for those is just that they're cool!  Most of them are in rehab, and once they're out and fully ready, I think they'll get cooked on when I feel like it (which is when my vintage red 18" gets used now).  I'd like to have a 22" WSM for easier brisket and multiple racks of rib cooking, and I think it would be sweet to have a SCG, but I can't say I need either one (until I've added one and realized the this is awesome factor-see 26"er, performer above).

I can see that many people smoke on their kettles, especially the 26, obviating the need for the WSM.  With 2 22s, you don't really need the 26", and you don't necessarily need a gas grill for convenience, or an 18 for efficiency.  So could see an argument for the minimum being 3-1 SJ, 1 performer and 1 beater 22" (and preferably SJ, performer and 26" if possible).  I think cutting back below that would strongly limit what I could do, without even considering convenience/coolness.

This is without really considering the vintage/collectibility aspect of it.  There's plenty of those I'd like to have.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 11:00:40 AM »
I get that question all the time!

When at first I was at 8 grills people would ask "Why 8 grills?" The answer was very simple... "I have not found my 9th yet ;)" but now that I have 3x plus they don't ask, they just roll there eyes and say "You have very a understanding wife!"

Funny story...

I was at the butcher shop a few months back and the butcher and I are talking and he said which are you going to use out of the 20 something grills you have to cook the pork chops? I laughed and said not sure maybe Red, Blue, Green... Oh hell I'll figure it out later ;D

So to answer...
A woman who I never met said "excuse me how many grills do you have" I said about 25 - 26. Now mind you I do not know this woman. She then tells me "If I was your wife I would  kill you over so many grills in my yard!????"

What!!! I don't even know this woman!!!

So I look at her and say "Not to worry if I was your husband I would have take my own life by now!" The butcher had to leave the counter and she stormed off. When the butcher returned he told me that he can't stand that BI*TH! And laughed his ass off!

So to answer the question I say "All I have I need and all I want I need"  ;D ;)

Oh ya! @TheDude Nice OTP Blue! Love mine!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 11:03:30 AM by Shoestringshop »
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 11:11:50 AM »
If I was forced to liquidate for some horrible reason.....I would keep 4

My performer......because it is an awesome daily cooker
My 26" OTG.......because it is a little bigger awesome daily cooker
My 22" WSM.......because you never know when you will need to cook 50lbs of pork butts
My 22" yellow......because, Duh, its freakin yellow
-Keith

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 02:57:07 PM »
I have around 15 various grills and smokers and don't use most of them.  I need to cull some but find it hard to decide what needs to go.

Wayne

order66

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 03:42:03 PM »
Does your Wife/GF really need all those shoes and pocketbooks?
Alrighty then...
-JDP
| 22.5 Master Touch |22.5 OTG |Pit Barrel Cooker| U-Lime SJS | Kettle Pizza| Akorn Jr. | Big Green Egg | Jumbo Joe | Blackstone Griddle | Pit Boss Classic |