Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle wobble?  (Read 3762 times)

WNC

• WKC Performer
Kettle wobble?
« on: May 01, 2016, 07:11:57 AM »
Hey guys,

Any ideas on what's this is about or how to fix it?

I've got a couple of kettles that kind of wobble left and right if you move the bowl handle. Not like a lean left or right, but more like a a slight spin. (Hope that explains the problem)

The leg sockets are solid, so it's not that. Are the legs not fitting tight within the socket? Is this what the broom stick to widen the top of the leg fixes?

It's most pronounced on the lime I'm working on. It's not a major issue, but I would like more stability. I've got a newer OTG that doesn't do it at all.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks, Justin

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Kettle wobble?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 07:24:47 AM »
First question

Is the triangle oriented correctly?  if the bars are underneath the rear bar that goes between the wheels take the legs off and flip it.

I have heard Alum foil  in the sockets will help if the triangle is correct, never did it though
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 07:29:26 AM »
Yeah, triangle is on right.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 07:39:14 AM »
I have done the aluminum foil method. 
Use a little aluminum foil tape to keep it in place.  No, not duct tape.  The good stuff …. The kind that HVAC guys use.

It's not a perfect fix, but it works okay.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 09:41:38 AM »
Use a little aluminum foil tape to keep it in place.  No, not duct tape.  The good stuff …. The kind that HVAC guys use.

Meaning, wrapped around the socket and leg, or just the leg and then reinserted into the socket? Thx!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 09:44:03 AM »

Meaning, wrapped around the socket and leg, or just the leg and then reinserted into the socket? Thx!

Just around the leg.  Cut a bunch of strips of HD foil. 
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 04:42:53 PM »

This solves loose leg sockets
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 03:38:10 AM »

I understood MacEggs's response about wrapping the legs but I don't see how the socket could be strengthened against the bowl with just HVAC tape?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 03:40:17 AM by addicted-to-smoke »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 03:46:23 AM »

I understood MacEggs's response about wrapping the legs but I don't see how the socket could be strengthened against the bowl with just HVAC tape?
Let me clarify, it helps with legs that are lose in the sockets. If legs fall out when a kettle is picked up, this is a solution.

Sockets that are detached from the bowl will not be aided by this.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP