Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: String Pie  (Read 1024 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
String Pie
« on: May 03, 2016, 01:50:39 PM »
Recipe from ancient cookbook reproduced without permission. "Thanks, Melanie?"

Recipe calls for 350 F, just basically to melt the cheese in about 20 mins. So yes, with the noodles and ground beef cooked ahead of time (in the kitchen) I fired up the machine to melt the cheese on top.

My half-chimney of K-blue seems hot. Let's reduce to about 1/4 open and let that sit a minute or three ...

"Oh stop showing off, and besides, LID THERMOS LIE."

You're right, they do lie. (But usually higher.)

"You dummy, you placed the probe too close to the coals."

Sure?

Grate temp became 350 with food on it. :)

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Nate

• WKC Ranger
Re: String Pie
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 06:34:10 PM »
That looks super yummy! I'll need to try that the next time we can't decide between lasagna or spaghetti.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 10:28:58 PM »
Looks great bud! I bet I could even get my kiddos to pile in to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 03:32:50 AM »
I can report it is kid-friendly. Both even went back for seconds last night, something rarely done even for "better" dishes.

You do have to kind of swallow your griller's pride somewhat, since major parts of this (noodles, ground beef) is cooked separately / ahead of kettle time. The opportunity lies with perhaps adding smoke wood (I didn't but was tempted, as I DO like smoked lasagna!)

This dish also turned out better than I'd remembered, in that it retained moisture really well without being soupy. In can turn out dry if you leave it too long heating up.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

irv39

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 06:51:20 AM »
I''m going to try that, thanks for the post.