Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Semi-Live Cooking Weekend  (Read 1497 times)

tb80

• WKC Ranger
Semi-Live Cooking Weekend
« on: April 22, 2016, 10:53:35 AM »
I am at my Inlaws bay house for the weekend and plan on doing a lot of grilling and smoking. So far I plan on grilling/smoking the following: brisket, baby back ribs, tri tip, tuna and chicken. I will try to post some pics as I go along.

Got in last night and checked out the WSM. It has been in storage for about 8 months and was covered in mold. I cleaned the mold out with bleach, then let a fire go in it over night. Then washed it out with dish soap before firing it up to put the brisket on.

No pics of mold but here is a pic from last night.

Nice sunrise this morning

Prepping the brisket with salt, pepper and olive oil. It's about a ten pounder.

Prepping the WSM

On the smoker

I will update this thread throughout the weekend as I throw more meat on the grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

tb80

• WKC Ranger
Re: Semi-Live Cooking Weekend
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 05:06:55 PM »
Brisket before wrapping up

First time to cook tri tip. I just used salt, pepper and garlic. I took it to about 110 internal on indirect heat and then seared it until it was around 125/130.

Sliced

Plated

I have to admit, while the flavor was good on the tri tip it was much Chewier than I expected. I doubt I will do it again. I think I would rather have a regular sirloin steak or a flank steak if I am looking for a similar cut of meat.

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 07:40:30 PM »
All looks great!

It's hard to tell, but by looking at your sliced tri-tip pics, it looks as if you sliced with the grain. With that cut, like the brisket, slice against grain for tenderness.

No matter what, don't give up on that cut. It is delicious.

Can't wait to see the rest!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tb80

• WKC Ranger
Semi-Live Cooking Weekend
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 06:17:30 AM »
I tried to slice with the grain but maybe I messed up.

Did some ribs yesterday but Overcooked them. I was playing with the kids and lost track of time.

Also grilled some yellowfin tuna

That's probably all the cooking I will be doing this weekend.

huntergreen

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 06:25:16 AM »
all looks great?    do anything to the tuna before grilling? tks

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 06:30:27 AM »
all looks great?    do anything to the tuna before grilling? tks
Just put olive oil, salt and pepper on it.