Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 3563 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
What would you do?
« on: April 28, 2016, 04:23:29 AM »
So after picking up and cleaning the 2010 Brick Red Performer when the GF asked what I was going to do with it when I told her I was off to drive an hour and a half away I told her I knew I could sell it.  But now that I have her all cleaned up I really don't want to part with her.

Anyway there are bits and pieces I like more on the two different Performers I currently have.  i'm tempted to swap some things around but I don't know if it makes sense to keep the frame of the older one.
So here I ask what you guys would do if you were in my situation.

Here are the two subjects, a 2010 Red Brick with Gas assist and a 2009 Black with Gas assist-

I like the look of the all black frame on the 2009 as opposed to the light grey on the frame of the 2010.
I like the wheels on the 2010.
The bowl and lid are in better shape on the 2010.
The lid bale rollers on the 2010 are slightly melted but barely noticeable and in truth don't bother me much (I also worry that if i try to take it off, I might break the plastic rollers)
The thermoplastic table can be easily moved to either unit, I haven't tried to clean it yet but there's some faint staining on it.  The newer style metal table looks great with the black kettle but I'm guessing would look awesome with the red kettle as well.
I could buy another metal table so that both would have them for $39 but it wouldn't make sense to put that money into it as I probably wouldn't recover it in a sale.
Ultimately I'd love to figure out a way to keep them both.  (How is it you become attached to a grill?)

So would you swap them around and then sell the other one?

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 04:35:19 AM by captjoe06 »
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 04:39:59 AM »
If it were me...I'd put the red bowl and newer wheels on the older cart and keep that. Put the black bowl and older wheels on other cart and sell it.
I think that red would look awesome on the black frame with the black table.

bear

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 04:47:23 AM »
Easy. Keep the stuff you like, sell the stuff you don't. I'm an advocate for this philosophy.

Keep: black frame, metal table red bowl & lid, newer wheels  (personally I like the old wheels, probably because I have never seen them in Oz).

Swap out & sell: grey frame, old wheels, black lid & bowl, plastic table. Don't look back and spend the cash on other things you want or enjoy.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 04:50:36 AM »
Do you have a SSP yet?

Better make more room...
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 05:10:33 AM »
Do you have a SSP yet?

Better make more room...

I picked up one last week but offered it to a good buddy (I'm happy for him) but don't know if I'll get another opportunity like that again-

He's done a minor clean up on it and we cooked on it Monday night-

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 05:20:13 AM »
Sure you will.  I've seen a bunch of SSPs $100 or less this year in MA.  Bought one, passed on a couple (including that one, I think).  MA is a good state for performers.  I bought a black one a couple months back that is growing on me as well-I normally like the colors but the black frame, stainless table and black kettle looks sharp, I think.  I'd probably do what's been advised, swap the red bowl to the other frame and sell the black.  You can almost always find black. 

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 05:47:44 AM »
They both look very nice.  If there are things that you prefer from both, why not switch some pieces, to make the "perfect Performer" for yourself?

BTW, I'm in the market for a metal table upgrade. Where did you find a $39 metal table?
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 06:02:58 AM »
They both look very nice.  If there are things that you prefer from both, why not switch some pieces, to make the "perfect Performer" for yourself?

BTW, I'm in the market for a metal table upgrade. Where did you find a $39 metal table?

If you register your Performer and call and ask nicely you may be able to get a nice CR that will offer the discounted price.
If I only had one Performer and it had the thermoplastic table I would not hesitate for a second to make the upgrade.  It's really really nice.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
What would you do?
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 06:45:56 AM »
I'd make both of them how you'd want then give one to the gf for a Christmas present. [emoji41] understand....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 08:43:54 AM »
I'd make both of them how you'd want then give one to the gf for a Christmas present. [emoji41] understand....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That is brilliant!!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 08:47:31 AM »
do some big cooks that need two grills.
have a party and get them fired up.

then explain that if you get rid of one, you can't cook those awesome meals and host awesome parties anymore.

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 08:49:51 AM »
OR...... Send me the red and i'll send you a black so you won't be so mis-matched lol

jeh_ar21

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 11:34:47 AM »
i was on the same scenario. i also like 2nd gen table frame better but grass green is only available on 3rd gen when i was looking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 12:26:30 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.  I'm gonna do like most suggested and swap out the red onto the Second Gen Frame which already is sporting the metal table.  i just hope I can figure out how to disconnect and reconnect the gas assist without screwing it up.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 12:29:52 PM »
"What are you going to do with it?"  I have been asked that several times.