Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is this '76-'77 22" kettle too far gone?  (Read 5154 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: Is this '76-'77 22" kettle too far gone?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2016, 12:53:43 PM »
Junk the cook grate and get the flip ups and some Char-Baskets
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Craig

• WKC Mod
Is this '76-'77 22" kettle too far gone?
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 04:34:20 PM »
Junk the cook grate and get the flip ups and some Char-Baskets

Even if you get new charcoal/cooking grates, the charcoal grates are a dime a dozen but please don't junk the cooking grate. They don't make them like that anymore. It can be cleaned up and used later or passed on to another vintage cooker. It's totally serviceable. Totally agree on char baskets! Those are a must! ;)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 04:41:21 PM by Craig »

Cellar2ful

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 09:11:55 PM »
Nothing wrong with that kettle Jon A.  It takes 40 years to develop that patina.  The sentimental value of it being your father's is priceless.  Mine was given to me recently by an Uncle who could no longer barbecue.  Enjoy it man.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 05:27:26 AM »
That grate looks totally fine. That little bit of rust should come right off.

You could probably just use a well used grate brush, you know one that's all covered in grease, just give it a good scrapping and the brush should remove the rust and recoat with grease/oil at the same time.

If you find the rust is a little bit more than just surface rust, or your wife insists, a light sanding and then recoat with oil (I prefer bacon grease) and you should be good to go. If you want to take the whole thing down to clean, and then recoat that'll take a little more work, but it can be done.

I've had grates that were totally covered in rust like the few little spots you have. After a good cleaning and a couple of cooks, they're grate!

Im with Craig in liking to keep all the original parts with the grill. Can't wait to see this one all restored and cooking. Let us know if you have any questions, we'll get you there!

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 05:57:42 AM »
The only thing I see wrong is that burgers are not cooking on it.  Look perfect to me.....plus it's got the rare vent, I love that style....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2016, 06:42:25 AM »
You guys keep talking about heirlooms and whatnot, but might be overlooking the possibility than the OP hates his father and might be wanting to repress horrible childhood memories.

Jon A we're here for you, man! :)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jon A.

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2016, 06:02:50 AM »
I was only 4 or 5 when my father first put this grill into service. He moved onto a gasser for most of my childhood but I do remember him using this grill from time to time. He put it back into service a few years ago and then bought a Big Green Egg that he uses almost daily. I am putting this old soldier back on the front line to augment my gasser and smoker (not seen in these pics because I am building a cabinet for it).

I cleaned up the kettle yesterday enough to begin using it. I didn't want to over-restore it given all of the patina. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but am looking forward to doing so.  I will clean up the triangle a bit more and will sand and oil the handle. I think I will leave it there and just get some use out of it.  I bought some lump charcoal to see how that will work (I love the flavor it imparts to the stuff my Dad has grilled and smoked on the Egg.

Thank you for all of the help and encouragement.

Jon A.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2016, 08:01:18 AM »
Very nice cooker you have there.
May The Smoke Be With You!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2016, 08:10:44 AM »
I love the band of patina around the bowl! Years of future memories await

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2016, 08:12:16 AM »
The heat generated inside the grill, would kill anything on the grate. That being said, I replace all my grates with the hinged grate.
Still need a 22” yellow