Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First successful pizza cook  (Read 773 times)

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
First successful pizza cook
« on: April 22, 2016, 12:15:15 PM »
I've tried pizza a few times and have been unsuccessful (burnt crust, top not done). Yesterday I thought I would give it another shot so I read through the pizza forum and watched some youtube videos. The ingredients were pretty mediocre, but I just wanted to see if I could turn out some decent pies.

This setup worked well. I may tinker with the stone being a little closer to the lid and add some hardwood, but that's about it. I think the keys are indirect heat, getting the stone up near the lid, and leaving the kettle lid open a few inches or more on one side.

Indicated temps on the Weber thermometer were somewhere around 550 - 600. The first pizza went for about 10 minutes and the crust wasn't crispy enough. The second pie went for 14 minutes and it was definitely on the crispy side. 12 minutes should be just about right next time. I turned them 180 degrees halfway through the cook.

The setup is just bricks, pizza stone and then pizza pan. I used an upside down 18" grate as well on top of the bricks because it was sitting there, but you don't need it.

Oh, I only have one pizza pan, so I threw in probably an additional 20-30 coals after the first pie was done while I made the second one to keep the fire ripping. The initial charcoal outlay was a little more than two over loaded baskets I believe and make sure to keep the lid offset by a few inches to get the heat up.

I loved the Trader Joe's pizza crust. It's like $1.19 per 12" pizza and located in their refrigerated section.

The accessories. Actually, just wanted to show off the Hawks spatula to Idahawk.

Setup

Pizza 1 - 10 min

Pizza 2 - 14 minutes. A little too long. About 12 minutes should be good next time.

Crust from pizza 2
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 12:33:21 PM by AZ Monsoon »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First successful pizza cook
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 01:23:49 PM »
Love great to me! Good job man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Re: First successful pizza cook
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 03:43:11 PM »