Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Dumpster Find Black "G" Kettle  (Read 2106 times)

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
Dumpster Find Black "G" Kettle
« on: April 16, 2016, 01:48:49 PM »
My wife and I have a small camping property west of where we live.  We went out this weekend to get things ready for the season.  I rode past one of the dumpsters and saw what I thought was a kettle sticking out of it.  I swung back around and there she was.  A black G stamped kettle.  Wood handles and all.  The handles are rough but it was free.  My question is about the bottom half of the kettle.  It's a little out of round, is it possible to bend it back?  Also the ash cleaner is seized up but I am pretty sure I can free it up.   I will post some photos when I get back to my house with it.  Any advice would be appreciated.   

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Dumpster Find Black "G" Kettle
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 01:54:27 PM »
See if a charcoal grate will sit proper in it. If so, it can't be that dented can it? If the upper portion and/or him is out of round try hugging until it's not.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 02:04:01 PM »
The issue is the charcoal grate was gone, I can pick one up.  I just gave it a couple tugs and it already seems better.  I have to replace the ash cleaner on the bottom because it's rusted and falling apart.  I am curious how well it will clean up. It does have a couple small dents in it but overall not bad for as old as it is.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 06:46:51 PM »
So clean it up a little and fire it up, that what it's all about.....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 08:39:44 AM »
So clean it up a little and fire it up, that what it's all about.....

What Zavod said. Oh and lets see some pictures!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 03:15:23 PM »
Pictures!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 07:33:54 PM »
After inspecting it a little closer I decided the bottom was not worth saving, even after I muscled it as much as I could I was not able to get the lid on the base.  the lid it straight so I decided to save it but I left the rest at our property to dispose of.  I did keep the lid and legs to possibly use later or if someone wants them I would be glad to donate it. 

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 07:40:21 PM »
Firepit!!!!

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 09:10:46 PM »
Great idea but we already have a large paver fire pit at home and at our camping spot.