Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ash Sweeper Replace on a One Touch Silver  (Read 2011 times)

Blizz79

• Happy Cooker
Ash Sweeper Replace on a One Touch Silver
« on: April 15, 2016, 02:23:27 PM »
Hey Y'all,
     Just picked up a Blue One Touch Silver for cheep.  Looking to get it back in cooking condition.  The ash sweeper is rusted out and unusable.  Will the newer ash sweepers work (H washer)?  Anything I should know before I pull it apart?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: Ash Sweeper Replace on a One Touch Silver
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 02:44:13 PM »
As long as you're replacing the whole assembly, there should be no problem. I did it last year.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 03:03:08 PM »
Installing the newer H style can be a challenge without an assistant if you've never done it before. It appears as if the rod won't go in the hole because you can't push the assembly hard enough against the inside of the bowl, and your arms might not be long enough to gain leverage.

But know that what you're pushing the rod into is strong and you won't bend it, so push hard and at an angle on the rod and it'll find entry.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 09:42:22 PM »
Welcome to the club (full of info) from Eugene, Oregon.   That being said; the latest style of sweep should work just fine.  Go on the internet and find the assembly inst. for mounting it.

Can be tricky the first time, but brace the blades/center from the inside of the bowl and use your body weight to work from the top of the bowl.                             SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 09:44:52 PM »
Throw a bag of charcoal over the sweeps to keep it pushed through while you insert the handle
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 11:03:52 PM »
If you need to, file the end of the handle rod to a slight taper.   

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 06:21:07 AM »
Throw a bag of charcoal over the sweeps to keep it pushed through while you insert the handle

Never thought of that! The last Performer I did something similar, with a couple large stones sitting on the sweeps to push them down.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Blizz79

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 10:05:35 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the advice.  Love the charcoal bag idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk