Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: STOK Cast Iron Grates On The Weber Performer  (Read 3597 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
STOK Cast Iron Grates On The Weber Performer
« on: April 14, 2016, 07:08:58 AM »
Last night it was brussel sprouts, mushroom and onion skewers and ribeyes on the 2009 Weber Performer Deluxe.
Decided to swap out the standard Weber grates for the cast iron ones on the STOK.  Worked out well using the STOK veggie basket insert to grill the brussell sprouts which were lightly coated in evoo , Atlantic Saltworks Salt and crushed black pepper.
I'm going to keep the CI grates in as I have a bunch of the STOK inserts and have had good luck with them.

These grates have been added to the list of all cast iron grates for the Weber kettle. Thanks for the heads up!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 07:47:36 PM by Troy »
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Re: STOK Cast Iron Grates On The Weber Performer
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 07:17:49 AM »
Keep it seasoned. I left mine in a couple of years ago and it developed a little rust on it. Season it real good now and have not had any issues.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 07:22:00 AM »
Looks great capt. Definately dig this cowboy cut steaks, and honestly, I am a recent fan of mushrooms and Brussels. I believe I'll be copying your thing here.

Did you cook the sprouts start to finish in the basket? My bride sautés them in a skillet with evoo, salt, pepper and bacon crumbs. They do take a little while. Hardy vegetable ya know.

I've got the craycort cast iron grates and absolutely love them. They require a lot more maintains so I break them out in the spring, re season, use until winter, season again and switch over to the standard ss grates.

Looks great bud! Thanks

ChaoSki

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 07:22:37 AM »
Where did you get those?

I just use a Lodge Griddle right on top of the regular grates, works fine but obviously there is no holes in it (not sure if that even matters).

ChaoSki

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 07:24:20 AM »
Looks great capt. Definately dig this cowboy cut steaks, and honestly, I am a recent fan of mushrooms and Brussels. I believe I'll be copying your thing here.

Did you cook the sprouts start to finish in the basket? My bride sautés them in a skillet with evoo, salt, pepper and bacon crumbs. They do take a little while. Hardy vegetable ya know.

I've got the craycort cast iron grates and absolutely love them. They require a lot more maintains so I break them out in the spring, re season, use until winter, season again and switch over to the standard ss grates.

Looks great bud! Thanks

You shouldn't really have to reseason the grates, just don't scrub them with wire brush and keep them seasoned.

How do you reseason them anyways? Self Cleaning oven? Over fire?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 08:12:54 AM »
I've been lucky so far with the Char-Broil CI grates (as far as leaving them outside goes). I bought a brush with brass bristles and only lightly move the biggest foods/sauces off it.

But I have the same problem (overall) with these that I have with all of my grates, which is I have more grates than I can regularly use, and so can't leave them oiled or they'll get gross.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 08:34:38 AM »
@ChaoSki . After every cook I wire brush them like normal and give it a coat of oil or bacon fat, and that keeps them well seasoned all year. At the end of the year I will give it a piping hot fire, burn off as much as possible then scrape all of the old build up off (top and bottom).  Then make a single layer, low heat fire and re apply bacon fat to the entire grate. I let the fire go as long as it wants to or as I want to be outside and every so often re apply some more oil.

You maybe very well right that I dont need to do it, but I enjoy it. I've had them for 3 yrs. now and they are pristine. Plus, I paid decent $ for them so I like to take good care of them.

Thanks!

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 09:26:38 AM »
@Travis I started the Brussel Sprouts and skewers ahead of time offset the Charcoal Baskets.  When the onions started to soften after reapplying evoo, salt,  black pepper I pulled the Charcoal Baskets together,  replaced the center Grate and seared the steaks
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

ChaoSki

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 09:32:49 AM »
@ChaoSki . After every cook I wire brush them like normal and give it a coat of oil or bacon fat, and that keeps them well seasoned all year. At the end of the year I will give it a piping hot fire, burn off as much as possible then scrape all of the old build up off (top and bottom).  Then make a single layer, low heat fire and re apply bacon fat to the entire grate. I let the fire go as long as it wants to or as I want to be outside and every so often re apply some more oil.

You maybe very well right that I dont need to do it, but I enjoy it. I've had them for 3 yrs. now and they are pristine. Plus, I paid decent $ for them so I like to take good care of them.

Thanks!

I understand, I like my cast iron and enjoy re seasoning as well. Over the years I've learned and adjusted this a bit and now prefer to keep the seasoning/build up at all cost (and not to re season).

If you stop using the wire brush you can prevent re seasoning/extra work/time. I would also try to use high temp oil like Canola for seasoning.

They do sell none wire brushes that are cast iron safe as well. Again, I have managed to not even use those and got to a point where I can simply wipe off any extra build up. But it depends at what heat temps you are working at as well. If you use a lot of high heat no seasoning will sustain/survive hehe

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 09:48:12 AM »
I keep a mason jar with peanut oil and a $1 silicon brush next to the grill and apply before and after every cook.  Been working well so far.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 10:12:02 AM »
Yeah, I do alot of high heat cooks for the sear factor.

What kind of brush ya'll use or what other things can be used. I'm guessing the wire brush is knocking off the seasoning. Only makes sense. I've never seen a brass bristle, like mentioned above, but honestly, I've never looked.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 10:31:03 AM »
This is why I love this forum. All the great advice, cooks, kettles and folks. Very cool fella's.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2016, 12:44:37 PM »
@Travis lots of people make brass bristle grill brushes in various styles. I'm a fan of Libman. I have a SHORT handle version of this, http://www.amazon.com/Libman-Long-Handle-Grill-Brush/dp/B000FJS14S (because I didn't know a long handle version existed.)

The hook, on the long handle version, is large and useful. What's interesting is that the bristles don't get bent permanently like steel bristles seem to do. They also make a version of this with long plastic bristles that works OK at brushing ash out of kettles.

I don't honestly know how "safe" brass bristles are for CI or any metal, only that they're softer. I think the key to it is starting with new CI and doing as ChaoSki says, oil before and after with something like a silicone brush that only puts oil on, not scrape off.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 04:10:03 PM »
@addicted-to-smoke Thx for the link. I'll look into that.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2016, 03:13:18 AM »
There is always the cheaper (disposable) option of steel wool or a ball of foil.

I use dollar store wire grill brushes & toilet brushes for the ash & grease in the bowl
(great for the mower deck also)
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE