Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: donor kettles  (Read 5162 times)

charred

• WKC Performer
Re: donor kettles
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 02:29:49 PM »
i want a yellow!
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 02:36:37 PM »
i use donor kettles to re-hab more desireable grills.

I picked up a $20 OTG this week, practically brand spanking new.
Every part will get used.

Triangle will go to a red OTG in need of a triangle.
legs, wheels, ash sweep, ring, bucket will go to a blue that's been hiding on the side of my house for 6 months
Lid is going to a local guy making a UDS

Bowl will get painted and turned into a planter.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 06:23:52 PM »
Oh man I couldn't do that. To me it sends a message that the sweeps aren't important, and so neither is heat control nor charcoal conservation. All of that works against someone's understanding and appreciating what the machine can do. I'm telling' ya it's a path to the dark side.

"Wait, let me fix it first." Now they also know it's repairable and worth fixing. A quick lesson about the sweeps' use when handing it over completes the cycle.

Let me clarify:The sweeps functions don't turn. I wanted to move them to better kettle that needs sweeps but the sweep handle has been fused together by high heat and abuse. It will not release with a screwdriver as it's supposed to.

Leaving the beater intact, new sweeps ordered from Amazon for kettle in need.

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 07:38:57 PM »
will go to a blue that's been hiding on the side of my house for 6 months

Sounds familiar around my house...

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 10:23:32 PM »
will go to a blue that's been hiding on the side of my house for 6 months

Sounds familiar around my house...

speaking of which, you no longer owe me a triangle. This planter is going to get stub legs, no triangle.

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 11:33:39 PM »
I've built 138 UDS's with two in the final stages right now.  I use Weber lids, Food Grates (when I can), Charcoal Grates (for the ash baskets, all the handles and sometimes the kettle rims.  All donors have been black mostly either free or under $25.00.  A few have been just to good to use as donors.  I've cleaned up and given several to friends and two of them went to the local VFW hall.  The abused and abandoned kettles still serve a purpose.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2016, 03:36:42 AM »
Oh man I couldn't do that. To me it sends a message that the sweeps aren't important, and so neither is heat control nor charcoal conservation. All of that works against someone's understanding and appreciating what the machine can do. I'm telling' ya it's a path to the dark side.

"Wait, let me fix it first." Now they also know it's repairable and worth fixing. A quick lesson about the sweeps' use when handing it over completes the cycle.

Let me clarify:The sweeps functions don't turn. I wanted to move them to better kettle that needs sweeps but the sweep handle has been fused together by high heat and abuse. It will not release with a screwdriver as it's supposed to.

Leaving the beater intact, new sweeps ordered from Amazon for kettle in need.

You were clear but it seems I wasn't.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 08:42:49 AM »
@addicted-to-smoke ,sorry I actually bought at Menards but I would bet the other big boxes have the Aluminum Tube where you buy the other milled metal.
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,