Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I Did Not Soak the Plank this Time ...  (Read 1145 times)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
I Did Not Soak the Plank this Time ...
« on: April 10, 2016, 04:16:33 PM »
On all other cook-ups using a cedar plank, I have soaked it.  Thought I would try something different.

I went with wild Haddock filets.  Not too much flavour in this fish, so I marinaded the pieces for about 4-5 hours.

The marinade was:

¼ cup Lime juice
¼ cup EVOO
1  tbls Club House mango / chipotle seasoning
1  tbls Powdered Sriracha seasoning

Managed to get all 2.5 lbs on the plank.  Lit lump went into a basket for the pre-heat stage.
Then on went the loaded-up plank.

The thermo was reading over 400° just prior to putting on the plank.
However, everything dropped once that happened.  This thermo is off some.  It tends to measure the grate temp.

I should note that the ambient temperature was below freezing, windy, and some light snow.

This is where it stayed for most of the cook.  I did not peak until 30 minutes.

It came off after close to 45 minutes and rested for about 5 minutes.

I was very pleased with how this turned out.  Fish was not dried out, but I would maybe cut back the time by 5-7 minutes next time.
Even had some heat with that Sriracha seasoning in the marinade.

I only do fish on the cedar plank.  Never tried other types of meat.
I will experiment more with the non-soak method.  Salmon is always a winner, but I like to try other species, too.

Thanks for looking.  :D

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: I Did Not Soak the Plank this Time ...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 05:03:47 PM »
For some reason I still do buy planks indirect. Habit I suppose. I've done tilapia and maybe something else as well as of course, salmon. Always surprises me how much extra time the wood soaks up compared to just cooking fish straight on the grate (as I normally do.)

I typically either don't soak, or forget to, or only soak for about 10 mins (which is all but worthless except to "moisten" the wood a bit.) Turns out fine from what I can tell.

I'd probably want to soak it if cooking direct, but yours didn't catch fire, so it's all good!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch