Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pluses and Minuses of Each Generation Performer (totally subjective)  (Read 4942 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Re: Pluses and Minuses of Each Generation Performer (totally subjective)
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 07:17:22 AM »
Everyone has their personal favorites, I have owned the Gen1, 2 and 3 performers.  My personal favorite is the Gen2, I like the size and the look of the Gen2, put a new metal table on it and this is the icing on the cake.
I'm with you

Sent from my LGLS991 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 07:44:11 AM »
... I hated the always escaping GBS center section at first...but...
I've had good luck when I flip open one of the charcoal access hinged grate sections of the GBS grate to hang it up without the center section falling out. I just flip the section that I've decided is going to be the top when hung up, before I remove it from the kettle. It helps to pin the center in place. It'll still pop out if I bump it, but at least it takes a little force to do it.

This is a grate tip!   ;)  I'm definitely going to give this a try...hopefully today for lunch!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 07:30:35 PM »
Don't really have any issues with any of the Performers.

I like the SS table of the Gen1.  I like the GBS since I have a cooking grate holder sitting right next to my Gen3 (it's one of my 22" kettles w/o it's lid on).  Like the ease of the small LPG bottles (can be refilled it your so inclined). I've always cooked with a side table of some type, usually under a rain cover, so the SSP access to the charbin it's such a big deal to me (I don't use it much except for Hickory wood, Apple wood storage anyway).

However, my absolute favorite feature of ALL of the Performers is the Touch-n-Go Charcoal system and it's pretty much the same on all of the Gen's.
SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 04:23:31 PM »
The SSPs are the coolest looking by far, imo, and none of the minuses bother me. And, that little tank is so damn cute!  ;D ;D ;D

I haven't used 2,3, or 4.

hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 06:35:26 PM »
SSP is best. Function be damned!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2016, 04:26:10 PM »
I've restored a few Gen 2 and 3s for friends, but SSP is just too cool.  I'm 6'0", and the height isn't a problem for me.  I've also added a couple of extra SS hooks on the far side for storage of extra grates.  The tank is big enough for many chimneys.   And I'm really, really pleased with the upgrade to the 2015 lid bale!  I'll run my red SSP into the ground!!
One of the charcoal people.

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2016, 07:39:27 PM »
I have 2 Gen 3's and my biggest gripe is the plastic table. I keep them clean, but my biggest complaint is they scratch easy. I also have got in the habit of lifting the castor wheel side by the legs when moving over a bumpy surface instead of the edge of the table in fear of it cracking.

The lid bale holder sometimes is in the way, so I take the lid off completely during some cooks. Not sure if the new one helps or not.

I don't use the charcoal holder, I keep charcoal in the bag in my garage.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2016, 07:47:20 PM »
Sign me up for a Gen 4

Don_

• WKC Brave
Pluses and Minuses of Each Generation Performer (totally subjective)
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2016, 08:58:48 PM »
I have my little Performer 22. It keeps chugging along, and it works well for me.

No gas assist, but I'm ok with that for now. I had a gen2 in my possession for a couple of days, and it was great...but I really want a gen1 ssp in blue, or green. That's my first choice.
I could deal with a copper gen4 though...if I had to.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 09:00:19 PM by Don_ »