Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slow n Sear question  (Read 3959 times)

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
Slow n Sear question
« on: April 09, 2016, 11:39:19 AM »
When this product first came out I immediately wanted one.  But for $90 I figured I'd keep using my charcoal baskets for a while and let the fine folks of the WKC be my guinea pigs.  Every post I've read on here has been extremely positive.  @Troy 's write up put me over the top and I decided to order one.  I finally got around to it last weekend and it arrived on Tuesday.  Today was the day to do a dry run and see what I could get it to do temp wise.

Filled it with unlit charcoal, topped the water reservoir off and set it over the jet in my performer to get it started.  Shut the jet off after 10 mins and let it do its thing.  After about an hour all the coals were screaming hot.  I put the lid on just to let it burn off an oils, ect.  Just pulled the lid off and all the water had evaporated which was expected at the higher temps I was running.  Then something troubling caught my eye.

It had warped in the middle!  Anyone else have this happen?  Is this normal?  Didn't think it would ever do anything like this.  That's why I plunked down the cash.

Did I do something wrong???  I'm a little P.O.'d right now!

@ABCbarbecue

« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 12:07:10 PM by Russell C. »

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
Re: Slow n Sear question
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 12:11:26 PM »
Just checked and mine's perfectly straight.  But then I've only used mine for low & slow cooks.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 12:15:10 PM »
Just checked and mine's perfectly straight.  But then I've only used mine for low & slow cooks.

BD

Mine was too when I started.  I know this for a fact because I'm anal bordering on OCD so I had to make sure the lines on my grate lined up with the lines on the S'n'S before I put the lid on.  I would have noticed the bow then for sure!

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 12:33:28 PM »
I know you're OCD, but seriously does it matter?  I mean will affect future cooks?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 12:46:15 PM »
Mine did that too and I kind of freaked out and when it cooled down it went back to normal. I had it at high heat as well. It must just curve in like that when it gets hot.  Mine is perfectly straight again. Was a little scary though when I first saw it. 

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 12:46:16 PM »
I know you're OCD, but seriously does it matter?  I mean will affect future cooks?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
You tell me?!?  Maybe, maybe not.  Did it bend because of a bad/weak weld?  Is it going to get worse?  I don't know.

I do know that after one 3 hour burn out I shouldn't have to even be worrying about it!

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 12:47:54 PM »
Mine did that too and I kind of freaked out and when it cooled down it went back to normal. I had it at high heat as well. It must just curve in like that when it gets hot.  Mine is perfectly straight again. Was a little scary though when I first saw it.
Thanks Josh G.  That makes me feel a little better.  I'll check it in a while and see if that's the case with mine.  Hope so.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 12:53:29 PM »
Mine curved way in and I knew it wasn't like that when I got it. Once it cools down you should see it go back to being totally straight.  @ABCbarbecue

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 01:02:02 PM »
The curve is normal, and it'll unwarp most of the way when it cools off.  Check out a picture of my SnS at the top of our Facebook page and you'll see mine is a bit warped as well.

https://www.facebook.com/adrenalinebarbecuecompany/

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 01:02:22 PM »
Mine curved way in and I knew it wasn't like that when I got it. Once it cools down you should see it go back to being totally straight.  @ABCbarbecue

@Josh G thanks for the mention.

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 04:31:05 AM »
One side cooler  - one side hotter on the metal caused the warp nothing to do with the construction and don't think you will have any problems. 

A question that I have as I do not have one yet is can you cook without temperature issues two rack of full size ribs lying flat on a 22" kettle with a sns? I am not a fan of rib racks. 

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 05:30:40 AM »
Its a very normal reaction for metal when there are extremes in temp on two sides of it.  Mine has done the same thing from using the water reservoir, but it has never affected performance or durability.

Grab a beer, reload that sucker, and cook something!
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 08:58:00 AM »
I've had several folks say they'd be the first customer.  I hope y'all come though!  Makes me a little nervous making an accessory for a grill that doesn't have many folks making accessories for it.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 11:15:54 AM »
I've had several folks say they'd be the first customer.  I hope y'all come though!  Makes me a little nervous making an accessory for a grill that doesn't have many folks making accessories for it.

How about a WKC group buy? @ABCbarbecue  8)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 12:04:13 PM »

How about a WKC group buy? @ABCbarbecue  8)

Since pretty much everyone that buys one is gonna be from the WKC I think that's a done deal already.  8)