Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: EZ Code SS Performer CL Pick Up-Asking For Advice On the Rusted Ash Pan Assembly  (Read 3623 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
This green SS Performer find is in great shape except for the ash pan assembly.  Everything else I believe can be buffed up to look like new.  I bought it with the intention that if my buddies Craig Kimberley or James Eves didn't want it I was going to keep it for myself.  But I could not, in good conscious let it sit there and sell to someone who would not appreciate it.  I was secretly hoping neither of them really wanted it so I could keep it for myself but James jumped at the chance and he will be doing the restore.  He promises to send in pics of the project.

The Bowl and lid were in excellent shape. The stainless will clean up beautifully with a  little bartenders keeper.  The frame solid.

I would replace the bolts with stainless but I’m not sure it’s necessary.  The only bad spot are the arms on the ash pan assembly that are rusted.

I’m going to ask my friends at the Webber Kettle Club Forums for suggestions.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 08:31:09 AM by captjoe06 »
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
EZ, not DZ ...

Much depends on if you can remove the thumbscrew for the sweeps and disassemble it all. If you can, remove the sweeps and take a wire wheel or SS pad / emery cloth to the undersides of them because corrosion lives there and it'll ruin them. Then take advantage of the removal by gently bending them back towards flat so that when reassembled, the sweeps seal nicely against the kettle.

As ash and grease get left in the kettle, it hardens and the sweeps must ride above the gunk in order to turn. This bends them and eventually they won't meet the kettle surface. Poor seal and wasted charcoal after a cook.

If all that went OK, take a wire wheel to the hangar bar and knock off the rust. Maybe some vinegar and baking soda soak, too. You can gently bend it back so that it better supports the ash ring. If it's actually shot, ask zavod44 if he'll make you a new one from aluminum. That's not ideal because it's not as strong as the original steel hangar bar and it's a little thicker, making reassembly a bit more work IMO to get the tightness of the thumbscrew "just right." I tried it and couldn't get it all back together to my satisfaction. YMMV.

OR

If the thumbscrew is seized and pretty much won't move without destruction, BUT the sweeps are still good, leave it ALL alone and move on for now ... securing the ash ring with radiator hose clamps (about 1 1/4" I think).

OR

If the sweeps are tired or won't seal well, get rid of them and don't look back. Cut the bottom nut off if you must. Buy the new 7444 sweeps and use radiator hose clamps to support the ash ring, ditching the troublesome hangar bar for good. It'll be as good or better than new.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
I like evaporust a lot for rusty parts. It's available at various places.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-quart-evapo-rust-rust-remover-96433.html

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
EZ, not DZ ...

Much depends on if you can remove the thumbscrew for the sweeps and disassemble it all. If you can, remove the sweeps and take a wire wheel or SS pad / emery cloth to the undersides of them because corrosion lives there and it'll ruin them. Then take advantage of the removal by gently bending them back towards flat so that when reassembled, the sweeps seal nicely against the kettle.

As ash and grease get left in the kettle, it hardens and the sweeps must ride above the gunk in order to turn. This bends them and eventually they won't meet the kettle surface. Poor seal and wasted charcoal after a cook.

If all that went OK, take a wire wheel to the hangar bar and knock off the rust. Maybe some vinegar and baking soda soak, too. You can gently bend it back so that it better supports the ash ring. If it's actually shot, ask zavod44 if he'll make you a new one from aluminum. That's not ideal because it's not as strong as the original steel hangar bar and it's a little thicker, making reassembly a bit more work IMO to get the tightness of the thumbscrew "just right." I tried it and couldn't get it all back together to my satisfaction. YMMV.

OR

If the thumbscrew is seized and pretty much won't move without destruction, BUT the sweeps are still good, leave it ALL alone and move on for now ... securing the ash ring with radiator hose clamps (about 1 1/4" I think).

OR

If the sweeps are tired or won't seal well, get rid of them and don't look back. Cut the bottom nut off if you must. Buy the new 7444 sweeps and use radiator hose clamps to support the ash ring, ditching the troublesome hangar bar for good. It'll be as good or better than new.

Bingo Boingo!!!!

I replaced mine with the new one touch system and new style (squeeze handle) ash catcher.  I ended up drilling the leg tabs on the ash catcher ring and my leg mounts then pop riveting everything in place, but as @addicted-to-smoke suggests, hose clamps works just fine.  For some reason I had drilling and riveting on my mind and might have gone the hose clamp route had I thought about that first.

Here is the post for my ash catcher install.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Nice '96, Mike! Looks just like my '92 but without the hose clamps. I went with the 2015 setup as well.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
EZ, not DZ ...

Thanks guys, I'm going to suggest this option.

I'm so happy for my buddy.  I can't wait to see how it comes out!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
I used SS wire, that's used to make fishing lures, to attach the ring to the kettle and it didn't cost much.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
I used SS wire, that's used to make fishing lures, to attach the ring to the kettle and it didn't cost much.

That works good.  Not as noticable as hose clamps.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Copper or aluminum wire will work too.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

swamprb

• WKC Performer
I like the old style rings on the ash can assembly and want to be able to utilize any available ash sweeps, so this is what I've done on some recent rehabs and Silver to Gold conversions. YMMV

I made some tabs from thin sheet metal to fit the leg sockets.

Then I set them up in the sockets and bend to fit contour of ring and pop rivet each one in place on the ring. 1/8" rivet.

Install any One Touch ash system and never have to worry about it again!

Only three 1/8" pop rivets will hold it securely, its clean, you can bend the one tab on that offset leg socket from early models for Gold conversions, not as cheeezzy as hose clamps or bailing wire, and removable just like the later model ash assemblies and its cheap!

You can thank me later as you enjoy that Performer!!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Note: The pop rivets are hidden behind the legs, so you don't even notice them.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
I like it!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
@swamprb -  That works too!

mwmac

• WKC Brave
Note: The pop rivets are hidden behind the legs, so you don't even notice them.

That's a nice solution!  I may need to implement it in the future....
22.5 WSM AH; RedSSP EE; Redhead EE; 26"C; 26" DE; WGA;Black MBH B; Outrider N.