Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ranch kettle repairs  (Read 2294 times)

dales133

• Smokey Joe
Ranch kettle repairs
« on: April 04, 2016, 10:19:26 PM »
Hi guys ive got a ranch kettle that was treated pretty appallingly by its previous owner and the rim around the lids all dinged and bashed up.
Has anyone managed to find away to repair these.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Ranch kettle repairs
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 02:53:47 AM »
Is it cosmetic or does the kid no longer seal well?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

dales133

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 05:35:50 AM »
It seals but the rime been bashed in right the way around
I actualy today spent an hour i guess gently prising it back out and it didnt come up to bad.
The enamels knackered and the previous owner had welded a some reo around the inside to fit a half inch thick hotplate.
Ive decided im going to repair it to the best of my ability but this will mean i will probably be recoating it.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 01:07:35 PM »
Re-shape the lid rim as best you can.
Remove all of that rust. Steel wool (#0000) works pretty well. You can start with something coarser, but be careful around the porcelain.
when you are back to bare metal, you can just coat it with cooking oil/grease and heat it up. Like seasoning a skillet.
OR
Because of the size of the Ranch Kettle you may have luck painting with high-heat, engine block or even brake calliper paint. Spray it into a cup, then dab it onto the needed area with a small brush.

Good luck!  :)
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

dales133

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 08:28:43 PM »
Hey jcnaz ive just stripped it out of the late model cart that seems to be a much later addition and pulled the vents off ect.
The previous owner welded a piece of reo around the bowl witch has done extensive damage to the porciline and its all either burned off or crazy cracked.
I the effort to save it from further decay if come to the decision that im going to repaint the entire thing.
I know this is probably sacralidge to some but its realy way past leaving as is and if i repaint it with high temp paint it will save it from further decay.
Im also looking at making new replica legs for it and replacing the plastic lid handles with timber ones.
Im all for keeping things as original as possible but sometimes you need to settle on the lesser of 2 evils.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 08:56:15 PM »
Good luck with the restore. Looks like you'll have your work cut out for you.

dales133

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 09:50:57 PM »
Had a bit of a go at it.

Anyone had any success with body filler on the exterior of something like this?
Im going to use a hammer and dolly and rubber mallet where i can but where its been distorted by welding i cant get to the other side.
Ive got some of that fiber reinforced stuff and the more traditional stuff

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 05:10:44 AM »
I see what you mean about that bowl.
My worry would be that any type of body filler will break away from the bowl as it is heated and cooled.
This is still a very cool old grill!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 05:18:51 AM »
If it were me, I'd clean it real good, season the rusted parts with flax seed oil, and cook away. the inside of my ranch looked like that and Troy suggested flax seed oil...that stuff works!.
I had to paint the outside of mine because the previous owner sanded the porcelain down, and the paint will never be as durable as I would like. Also, the leg diameter is very close to chain link fence top rail if that helps. Cool find ya got there.

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 04:44:27 PM »
I've used a product called hi temp lab metal. It's a product similar to bondo. With a 1000 degree temp range. You can paint it or powder coat it. I used it to fill some holes and dents but have yet to paint over it or fire up the kettle. So I can't help with " will it hold up to the heat".  It works nice and sands well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk