Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First cook on my new Ranch Kettle.  (Read 3012 times)

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
First cook on my new Ranch Kettle.
« on: April 03, 2016, 07:02:54 PM »
My brother had a small get together over at his house so I packed up the Ranch Kettle and my Gen2 Performer to take care of the cooking duties.  As this was my first time cooking on the Ranch, I had no idea what I was doing, but I didn't let a silly thing like that stand in the way.

Lined 1/2 the charcoal grate with somewhat of a single layer of coals and fired up 2 large chimneys (3/4 full) and 2 small chimneys.

Time to get things started.   I dumped all the chimneys out on top of the unlit coals, trying to spread things out so I had to where I had 1 layer of lit coals on top of the layer of unlit.  Next, time to load up the first round of proteins, 24 hamburgers and 13 split chicken breasts (marinated in a sesame ginger bottled concoction).  I started off by placing the burgers on the right side of the grate, then spun the grate so that the burgers were over the coals.  Then I put the chicken on indirect.

All three bottom vents and the top vent were at 1/2.  I put the top down for a few mins to let the magic happen.   Opened it up and saw that the burgers were cooking very quickly so I immediately started flipping them.    I put the top back down for a few more minutes.  Pulled the top up again and saw that the chicken was cooking nicely and the pieces had shrunk.   I moved them all to the front right quadrant then moving all the burgers from over the coals and started stacking them on the back right to stay warm while the rest of food was cooked.

Next, time for 18 Ribeyes to go on over direct heat.    I closed the lid and gave the steaks a few minutes to cook.    I then decided to pull the burgers, and put on the other 14 chicken breasts that were marinated in Italian dressing and Worcestershire sauce.   I also flipped the ribeyes.    After a few more minutes went by, I checked the ribeyes and pulled some that were ready.

At some point during this cook, I fired up another 3/4 of a large chimney for my Performer.  When those coals were ready and dumped, I threw on 2 packs of Hebrew Nationals and a pack of Purnell's Bratwurst to cook indirectly as I really didn't have time to give them much attention.

Man, what a fun and exciting cook.  I was completely clueless about quite a few things in regards to the Ranch and it definitely showed.  Many, many mistakes and miscalculations were made, but in the end, everybody loved what came off of it.   Though I have to say that 10 or so people made it through the serving line before the Italian marinated chicken made it to the serving table.   ;D ;D

« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 07:06:06 PM by demosthenes9 »

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
Re: First cook on my new Ranch Kettle.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 07:50:40 PM »
That is a lot of food there.  It looks like you did a great job to me! 

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 10:10:35 PM »
Nice Job.  I made a basket out of expanded metal for the coals. Works great for grilling and off set cooking.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

RSHU

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 10:38:23 PM »
Way to go! That a lot of food and a lot of grill to manage!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 10:50:55 PM »
Nice job. I think you had the right idea with the zoning. I think the trickiest thing about the Ranch is putting too on much charcoal and letting the heat get away from you but you seemed to manage that well!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 12:06:08 AM »
Yeah, that might be a little intimidating not knowing for the first time what you're going to need for charcoal and all.  Looks like you did great and every cook you'll take away something.  My memory is so bad I'd definitely benefit from taking notes on what worked and what didn't.  Putting it down in the forum will surely help with that.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 03:03:39 AM »
Wow! Nice cook! My brother has a ranch. Normally just uses it to do a 20-25lb pig.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 04:26:25 AM »
HAHAHA look at all that food!

Oh to have a Ranch someday.....

Nice job for your maiden voyage!
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 07:37:21 AM »
Great first cook!  Would love a ranch one day but don't think I could keep a ranch and my wife at the same time, and I really like my wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

BluesDaddy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 11:30:49 AM »
Sweet. I'd buy a Ranch Kettle before I lay out the money it sounds like they're going to ask for the "Charcoal Summit". You can cook a small pig on one of those bad boys.

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 11:58:52 AM »
Wow nice job! I too want a ranch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 12:12:35 PM »
Nice Job.  I made a basket out of expanded metal for the coals. Works great for grilling and off set cooking.
I agree great job! I think a basket for mine is the way to go for such a cook as yours.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 05:24:54 PM »
Wow, that's awesome, so much food and so much room to do it in!
Nice job, I bet everyone was happy!

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 06:40:27 PM »
Thanks everyone.   Prior to the cook, I scoured this forum, TVWBB and the Brethren and read through all the RK threads I could find.  Well, any thread that said "Ranch" in the title.    Ron and Fedex, I'm definitely going to look into some baskets.   Saw some large ones shaped like Weber's made of expanded metal.  And round ones of different sizes.  And charcoal rings from WSMs.  And one that looked like it was modded from 2 Weber baskets.

I actually had 3 sets of Weber baskets on hand.  2 of the newer style and 1 of the old metal rod ones.  Wasn't sure how to use them and still cook the 18 ribeyes over direct heat.  This is also the reason why I didn't go with a mound of coals banked up against each side.    This kind of stuff is what made it really difficult to figure things out, especially for my first cook.