Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Rescue  (Read 5403 times)

jolayiv

• WKC Brave
Re: First Rescue
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 10:18:11 AM »
Thanks again for all the kind words. I hope to keep this grill kicking for years to come.

I can only hope to pull some of the scores you guys have and breath life back into them.
Jim

Hybridtwin77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 11:00:18 AM »
I think it might be lol. But good on you for taking that Brownie in. No doubt it will be an awesome grill when you finish with it.

Christopher
2016 MT

steviesandwich

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 09:33:58 AM »
Shame about being in the UK: nothing like this here :(

jolayiv

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 09:49:49 AM »
Shame about being in the UK: nothing like this here :(

Keep looking. They are very hard to find close to me. I just happened to stumble across this one. Most of the good (what I consider good) grills are all 2+ hours away from me. Put the word out that you are looking and I bet you will get some leads.
Jim

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2016, 09:55:12 AM »
Very nicely done.  It never gets old seeing how well old grills clean up...especially on the inside.  I am still amazed everytime I do one.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2016, 04:11:17 PM »
Grate find! Love the black MBH's!

jolayiv

• WKC Brave
First Rescue
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2016, 05:24:26 PM »
Thanks everyone.

So my boy that laid claim on the grill demanded we have dinner on it tonight. I had no time to run out to the store to get those first meal steaks that I had planned on so I stole the wife's hamburger she was going to make meatballs with and set out to season and grill. I didn't take any pictures because I was afraid the 3-wheeler name would hold true to the death trap that almost killed me as a kid. Why would they ever make that thing!? 4 wheels are much better than 3. Anyway dinner turned out killer and I can't believe it but this beast managed to choke out the coals!! I guess I did pretty good getting ole girl back into shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jim

jolayiv

• WKC Brave
First Rescue
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2016, 02:20:47 PM »
So my roughly 43 year old wood handle turned out pretty good. I sanded and did two coats of natural stain.
I'm not real sure why the top took the stain so much better... Oh well

Jim

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2016, 06:16:29 PM »
I need to do that to an old handle or 3 as well. Top part probably soaks in more stain since it took more abuse over the years than the bottom piece. Looks good. Love the grain.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jolayiv

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2016, 06:34:05 PM »
I need to do that to an old handle or 3 as well. Top part probably soaks in more stain since it took more abuse over the years than the bottom piece. Looks good. Love the grain.
I hear ya. I have a couple more I need to work on. I stopped sanding once that old weathered grain started to really show. I thought it looked awesome.

I can't wait to see yours!
Jim

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2016, 06:43:17 PM »
Here's the most recent. The "Weber" script was already pretty well worn down when I got it, an ER ('96) Smokey Joe that's being turned into a mini WSM.

Two (or was it 3?) coats of spar varnish (no stain). Super glossy now!

The only reason that WSM thermo fits there, right on the sharp curve, is because the lid came to me with a deep DENT right there. I made lemonade from the lemon.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jolayiv

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2016, 06:44:53 PM »
You can't ask for better results. Looks awesome! Great work.

Jim

Hybridtwin77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2016, 07:43:08 PM »
Nice job to both of you.  Really to like that grain @jolayiv
Christopher
2016 MT

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2016, 05:23:39 AM »
Nice fix up and story.  I'm guessing that the wheels were replaced, given that that style came out in 77 and that lid vent is older?  I have a thumbscrew MBH that is the same way.

jolayiv

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2016, 05:40:48 AM »
Nice fix up and story.  I'm guessing that the wheels were replaced, given that that style came out in 77 and that lid vent is older?  I have a thumbscrew MBH that is the same way.

Thanks man. Your guess is as good as mine when it comes to those wheels. Given that this grill was outside its whole life and not covered until late (previous owners story) I would say the wheels have been replaced.
Jim