Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Just use other grill grate on top of rusted old one?  (Read 1815 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Just use other grill grate on top of rusted old one?
« on: April 05, 2016, 01:15:34 PM »
The grill grate on the flat top 26 I recently picked up flakes rust off and I don't really want that on food despite the free iron supplement. I suppose I could also take a wire wheel to it and remove as much flakey rust as possible?

I just don't know that I'd ever be able to keep enough grease or oil on it to stem the inevitable. One tine has already separated from the rim.

I'm thinking 2 cheap 22 grates and an 18 would pretty much cover it? Or do both, hit it with a wire wheel and then cover with smaller grates.

I only have 3-4 working grills (of various sizes) and it's hard to use any one of them often enough to keep the grates well greased. Maybe I'll stop brushing after each cook unless there's a chunk of meat that got left on.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Just use other grill grate on top of rusted old one?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 02:49:22 PM »
You could totally do that although you'd have to resign your food to touching the rusty grate below anyway. I would not store a new grate on to of the rusty grate as the rust will transfer more easily from contact. The 26" grill mark grate fits those older kettles if you are interested in a replacement.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 03:23:57 PM »
I think the GrillMark 24.75" might be gone now. I might be able to get by with a 24" campfire grate. It would be small but *should* not fall in with care?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 03:32:02 PM »
Hey ATS using the wire wheel is exactly what I did.

I'd restore it, take wire brush and get all the rust off. Then soak it in some vinegar and baking soda. (taping up the lid vent and using the lid works well for this)

Do some more scrubbing with steel wool or a brillow pad.

Then rub the whole grate down with some bacon grease.

I was afraid of it not holding up either, but after a couple of pork butt smokes it's done really well. I then made the mistake of using the vortex and had to do another pork butt smoke, but it's held up really well.

Just my two cents, but I like having the original grate, and it's cheaper than buying a new one.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 03:52:16 PM »
I'd recommend cleaning it with your wire wheel so you can see exactly what you have and go from there.

The grate in the pic looks usable to me, considering the replacement options.

The broken spoke I think can be repaired. I know I could cut that one out weld another spoke in.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 04:05:52 PM »
No welding happening here but I'll try the rest when I get a chance, thanks fellas.