Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sweet Genesis score!  (Read 2757 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Sweet Genesis score!
« on: April 01, 2016, 04:59:11 PM »
I've been searching for an older Genesis as my newer Spirit is kinda junky; the frame is beginning to rust after under 4 years of use and it has never been in the elements.

Thankfully it came with a cover:

Might need a little black duct tape:

Missing a caster:

Grates are like new:

Flavorizer bars are good:

Burners work:

Chimney starter:

Questions for you pros:

1) What model is it? 2000?
2) Is there a specific regulator I can use to replace this one (apparently it's the old style)
3) Any specific areas I should check during clean up?
4) Will the slats sand up and take a stain/varnish? Any recommendations?
5) Have a caster to spare?

The grill is currently at my parents house in another city, my dad picked it up for me...probably for leverage so I'll come visit.

I welcome any information you have to share  ;D

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Sweet Genesis score!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 05:50:16 PM »
@Bman, can you help if I am wrong?

I believe that is a 3000 model, because it has a side burner.
I have ordered casters from Weber, and they were reasonable.  I have also picked up non-locking casters from Ace Hardware  that fit just fine.
These old Genesis grills are the bomb!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 05:53:00 PM by jcnaz »
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Bman

• WKC Performer
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 09:43:45 PM »
Nice!!  Won't take much to get it in tip top shape.

Questions for you pros:

1) What model is it? 2000?

I'm with JC and Bman, it looks like a 3000.   If you want, pull up the sideburner and remove the 2 screws holding down the control panel.   Remove the 3 gas knobs and lift the control panel off.   You should find a sticker with the model number and serial number.   Should be either on the bottom of the control panel or one of the sides of the frame under the control panel.   From there, it will be easy to determine model and year.

2) Is there a specific regulator I can use to replace this one (apparently it's the old style)

Double check where the hose connects to the manifold.   It should take a male pipe threaded (MPT) end, which would be Weber part #7503

3) Any specific areas I should check during clean up?

Pay real close attention on all sides where the firebox sits in the frame, especially on the left hand side where a bolt goes through the frame into the firebox.  This is where rust usually turns up.

4) Will the slats sand up and take a stain/varnish? Any recommendations?

Should have no trouble sanding and staining/varnishing.   Don't know much about the process, so can't make any recommendations.

From the pictures, the paint looks pretty good.  If there are some small areas that need touching up, give the outside a good cleaning, knock off any flaking paint then just spot spray with some Krylon or Rustoleum high heat paint.

If you want to clean the inside of the firebox, easiest way is with an angle grinder and a 4inch wire cup wheel. Take it down to the aluminum, coat with some PAM and then fire the grill up to season it.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 09:47:07 PM by demosthenes9 »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 05:54:06 AM »
If it's a quick-disconnect fitting you don't need a new regulator and hose assembly if it'll just unscrew from the regulator. ACME fittings are available separately for less; it's what I did for my old Performer. A picture would help ...

When you locate the serial number, the first 2 letters will tell the year just as with a kettle. Weber CS can confirm the exact model.

Nice grill.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch