Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ode to the Weber 9815 (or, 62538) "dual purpose" thermometer  (Read 6229 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Ode to the Weber 9815 (or, 62538) "dual purpose" thermometer
« on: March 30, 2016, 03:38:30 PM »
Saw a pic in a thread recently here I've already forgotten of a (different) thermometer stuck into a piece of meat. I've never been tempted to do this, but apparently these thermometers could be yanked from their kettle (or old gasser!) lids and then shoved into meat for an "instant read" bead on meat temp. Assuming you of course leave it in and wait. The fact that "lid temp" doesn't equal grate temp doesn't matter here!

It's actually a neat (and, old) idea, right? Buy a spare, one to view overall machine temp and one that tells you what's happening to the food once you lift the lid.

Be that as it may, every time I come across one of the many grills that use this thermo I buy a new one, because the original has of course weakened to the point it reads 20 more degrees too low.

"GET A FREAKIN' MAVERICK, HELLO?"

Thanks, I have one. And your point is ... what?

I like knowing at a glance the relative too hot/too cold status as I walk up to the machine. Bimetal dial thermos, despite inaccuracies as they age, excel at this. My craigslist WSM came with a 3" dial thermo added to the lid and I've never once wanted to get rid of it. I can tell from inside the house if the temp is OK.

I wish Tel-Tru made a replacement for the 9815. I feel an unnatural temptation to hoard the 9815, "just in case" the discontinued supply runs dry.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Ode to the Weber 9815 (or, 62538) "dual purpose" thermometer
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 03:54:50 PM »
somehow every single grill i've had that used THAT thermo was wildly innaccurate - most would never go over 350 or 400.
And every lid mounted weber thermometer i've used has been close to spot on.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 05:05:16 PM »
I wish Tel-Tru made a replacement for the 9815.

Will this one work? Tel-Tru for Weber Genesis

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 05:27:22 PM »

I bet it would! Thanks!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 05:39:52 PM »
somehow every single grill i've had that used THAT thermo was wildly innaccurate - most would never go over 350 or 400.
And every lid mounted weber thermometer i've used has been close to spot on.

Like all bi-metal thermos they lose accuracy as they age but should be really close when new. My '92 Performer "never" got above 300 degrees no matter what until I replaced the lid thermo. Then I bought a new one and it could get really hot. :)

Here's my dad's '05, with lump centered under the thermo. Wrapped it around the dial. They'll read plenty high if not geriatric.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 06:34:36 PM »
This style thermometer with the shroud is my favorite. Mine has never been super accurate but does the job to tell me if I'm close enough to my target temp. I never probe meat with it, although that's a cool feature.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 07:37:58 PM »
I love my old thermometers.  They are never more than 20 degrees off of my digital thermometer.  I've never used it as a probe either.  As long as you keep in mind that it's a good estimate I think they're still a valuable tool.  Thanks for the nice post!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
I have thought about buying the Tel-Tru replacements,  but my old Weber ones still do all that I need. I use lid thermos to track changes. If I need accuracy,  my digital gets some exercise.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 02:49:05 AM »

It will fit. I had them in my 18" WSM's that were mounted through the vent rivet.

I have collected some of the old bolt on thermo holders from old 1000's and early Genesis lids and planned to mod them for the bottom grate on the centers of the 18's, but the BBQ Guru came along and alas I sold the 18's.

See here where I added another to the Left side of my coffee roaster 1000

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 03:00:22 AM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 04:13:35 AM »
Can't take my eyes off that double 18 WSM cart.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 05:03:14 AM »
@addicted-to-smoke
I see UCB STLIPA in the backround.  I'm friends with the brewmaster/co-owner.  It's cool to see local st. louis beer in the wild.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 07:49:55 AM »
Nice friend to know! I like both the Grove and Midtown locations. That pic was taken in O'Fallon (MO); UCB doesn't reach into Georgia.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 07:55:53 AM »
I, too, prefer this style lid thermo over the dome therm.

I recently rescued a "M" code OT+.  The therm is measuring Celcius only>:( >:(

Is it possible at all to calibrate these ??  This one is measuring way off where it should be.
Water boils at 100℃ …

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 08:20:03 AM »
No adjustment on these and even if there were it would probably still be wrong over its range. That's why I shell out the $12 to get a fresh one. That Tel-Tru tho ...

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 09:12:39 AM »
No adjustment on these and even if there were it would probably still be wrong over its range. That's why I shell out the $12 to get a fresh one. That Tel-Tru tho ...

It's my understanding that their quality is second-to-none.  Never heard anything bad about them.

A little extra $$, but it may last a very long time.  Please let us know if you go this route.

I may look into replacing 1 or 2.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.