Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: **I'd rather be RED than DEAD!!**  (Read 4443 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
**I'd rather be RED than DEAD!!**
« on: March 29, 2016, 06:01:41 PM »
Rising from the rust and ashes -

The Green OTP will live on to grill into eternity!

As the Master-Touch Platinum!

Table top got a needed pressure wash, wire shelf sand blasted and repainted with Hammered Finish paint along with the frame.

I removed the bowl brackets, lightly blasted and used Dupli-Color Engine Red paint. Stainless machine bolts secure them.

The Master-Touch is a rescued "EZ" 1998, I used the vent handle from the original "DD" Greenie and used an old style grooved handle from a Weber chimney to match. Not much of an age difference!

I agonized over which kettle to drop in, but the logical choice was the Master-Touch as it only has one bowl handle (which had a broken weld and was bolted on) and all my other Redhead kettles have two handles. I used some nickel plated hole plugs drilled out and secured with stainless acorn nuts. Not pretty, but it works for me.

Thanks for looking, this was an easy mod!

Brian

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 06:03:52 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: **I'd rather be RED than DEAD!!**
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 06:09:01 PM »
Awesome work here! That M/T will live to ride again.

How did you remove the bowl brackets? Pry 'em until they just gave it up? Or cut?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 06:17:40 PM »
Awesome work here! That M/T will live to ride again.

How did you remove the bowl brackets? Pry 'em until they just gave it up? Or cut?

I took a tip from @Troy and tried to drill at the welds inside the bowl. There were 3 small spot welds which made it pretty difficult, but patience prevailed.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 06:26:40 PM »
Reminds me of the 26 I just picked up. Needs TLC. Both side handles' welds are loose. How? Why? Lid handle weld is fine but the hangar bracket is bent/doesn't hold. Leg sockets look like your M/T on the inside (as in, not good) but sockets are strong. I need to save up for a miniRanch frame mod unless a table that's not too huge comes along.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 06:29:34 PM »
Beautiful!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 06:53:43 PM »
Looks nice, but the bottom grate shelf is upside down

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 07:12:36 PM »
Great work looks awesome.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 07:26:56 PM »
How did you remove the bowl brackets? Pry 'em until they just gave it up?

Those spot welds are quite strong so I would not recommend doing this. Ive done it once to a handle and will never again.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 07:55:59 PM »
Looks nice, but the bottom grate shelf is upside down

Thanks but it is on correctly!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 07:58:16 PM »

Those spot welds are quite strong so I would not recommend doing this. Ive done it once to a handle and will never again.

Not for the faint of heart!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 08:50:03 PM »
Nice work.  She's a sexy redhead now!!!  Looks dang near factory.
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 09:09:56 PM »
That is excellent work! It should look remarkable with a CB Stacker.
[emoji6]
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 03:13:23 AM »

Not for the faint of heart!

Interesting. I might have tried the angle grinder.

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 05:09:52 AM »
Very nice work.

I've never seen a red OTP.  Did Weber ever make one?
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 05:14:56 AM »
Don't think so. By the time this table design came out, pretty sure reds were discontinued.