Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Green '04 Performer  (Read 2586 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Green '04 Performer
« on: March 23, 2016, 04:48:13 PM »
This was my recent CL acquisition mentioned the other day in the Online Finds section. Overall it's in pretty nice shape. What follows are random notes.

Sweeps were loose so with the help of a small torch the handle rod finally was freed. I cleaned it all and put it back together. The sweeps feel nice and tight now.

This is a mild concern, corroded/enlarged slots, even though it would take years for them to grow beyond the sweeps:

Inside of the bowl has some missing porcelain and light rust areas mainly on the slide-aside end, which makes sense since that's where most of us probably bank coals, "under" the lid when it's open. I did some mild razor blade and #0000 steel wool work on the bowl but not completely. Seeing this now has me worried about my older red Performer ... I try to use charcoal holders but it certainly hasn't been every time!

Seller thought the tank had gas; I couldn't tell. It poofed one flame when I picked it up, and gave a weird, wandering and weak flame at home. I ordered a regulator but didn't need it:

Scraped off the crud and took a bread-tie to the oriface and it's much better ... nice flame now!

Thermometer's weak and I like having them work even though they're for entertainment only. I'll probably also look for a pair of 2" front wheels like I found for my red Performer even though they aren't the locking kind. I'll update with the obligatory finished shot in a day or so.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: Green '04 Performer
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 04:58:40 PM »
Nice, can't wait to see it all cleaned up!
It's amazing how just a little tlc can get those gas assists back in working order. I did one not so long ago, where all I had to do was clean the part that made the spark inside the igniter, good as new...

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 11:09:58 AM »
It's not pristine but I'd cook on it! I went back today to remove more crud from the underside of the lid ... looks pretty good but called it quits after several razor blades and losing interest in what will be a cooker anyway. I kept the gunk at the lip and at the vent holes for sealin' purposes.

I removed the original One Touch blades to get better access and clean around and under them (as well as clean the blade backsides). Bent them back, assembled and they are like new, meeting up to the bowl nicely now. That said, in the future, for old grills like this I'd probably be better off paying the $15 for new ones. They weren't too corroded but I don't think they were as stiff and new blades would be.

This is for a neighbor friend although he doesn't know I'm gifting it to him yet. I'm also tossing in my charcoal baskets and bought myself a new set. Also, I donated my lid thermometer and bought myself a new one. The one that was in the lid here read too low in boiling water.

Behold! The 10ft. Performer! (Looks fantastic from 10ft. away.)

With the office chair wheels being dead I swapped them for these Waxman's @ Lowe's: http://www.lowes.com/pd_66955-255-4384999NN___?productId=3037441&pl=1&Ntt=2%22+caster

They don't lock but the office chair wheels are junk even when not locked up. That webpage makes it seem like they are $6/each but you actually get 2 in the bag. Perfect! These are what I put on my Performer and I think @Winz added them to Bisbee, too.

Remember to remove the sleeve:

« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 11:12:38 AM by addicted-to-smoke »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

magonzo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 11:43:54 AM »
Nothing wrong with that grill, I bet your neighbor will be ecstatic! 
Rescued SSP Red, OTS, Jumbo Joe, Genesis Silver B, Weber Q, GnGo Anywhere

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 01:05:11 PM »

This is for a neighbor friend although he doesn't know I'm gifting it to him yet. I'm also tossing in my charcoal baskets and bought myself a new set. Also, I donated my lid thermometer and bought myself a new one.

Nice job on the cleanup, and even nicer job on the friendship!  I know he will be thrilled, after all, he is getting the BEST weber charcoal model out there.  A SS performer, especially in a cool color, is a treasure.  Good Karma coming your way.

Winz

In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 01:40:49 PM »
Great clean up and good on you for gifting this to your friend!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 03:46:29 PM »
Talked to his wife, she says he'd really dig it and we can surprise him with it next week.

It came with the correct Weber cover but I had to purge it. It was ratty, very brittle, you could daylight through it and SHRANK. I couldn't even begin to slip it on the grill.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 05:14:28 PM »
You did a good job on that grill and are a good friend.

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 05:28:40 PM »
Neighbor of the year right there!  I really like that caster upgrade - I see one in my future.

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 05:57:44 PM »
funny... 

My first (and only) Performer was a Green "10-footer" with the same replacement front wheels.   I actually had to scroll up and make sure you weren't the new owner.  Enjoy it!

Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 06:07:58 PM »
Very cool brother. Thats a hell of a good looking grill, gift and friendship. That IS the "Weber experience". Hats off.