Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cleaning OTG after smoking  (Read 4595 times)

SoupDogg77

• Smokey Joe
Cleaning OTG after smoking
« on: March 21, 2016, 10:00:18 AM »
Hi everyone, my apologies if this has already been covered before. I got a Weber kettle in December, I've used it a few times for smoking, and it's time I want to give it a good cleaning. The interior around the lid has a gummy look/feel to it and the top vent (flower) is very difficult to adjust due to the substance built up. I've almost warped the handle trying to open/close the top vent. Does anyone have some advice on a product or method to go about making 'er all pretty again?  Thanks in advance.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Cleaning OTG after smoking
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 10:38:48 AM »
This should give you all you need to know. I usually don't clean the rim of the lid though...leave it carbonized and junked up since it helps the lid seal better.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 11:00:43 AM »
I personally do not go crazy cleaning the inside … Aside maybe removing the sweepers once a year to clean off the crud build-up.
I don't like to clean-up all of the seasoning that I have worked so hard to get built-up …. Contributes to flavour.

For the outside, just a bucket of hot water, some Spray Nine, 0000 steel wool, and a hose handy to rinse. 

Good luck!
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

SoupDogg77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 12:08:34 PM »
Thanks for the tips, I am honestly pretty new to charcoal grilling and smoking only been at it for like 3 months. Forgive me if these are things I should already know. I've seen people talk about seasoning a grill but I guess I'm not sure what it means. I assumed it meant that the walls of your grill have grease and such built up a little, not gross but you'll have a nice BBQ aroma when you lift the lid off. Then I read something about mold and I assumed that you need to clean it often. My concern right now is just to get my top vent to move easily rather than requiring a pair of pliers to turn and the metal bending. I'm okay with leaving the rim a little gunky as I agree the seal seems to be better.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 12:25:24 PM »
Dental floss works well for the vents. Shoot it with some degreaser, let it soak for a little while and then go at it with the dental floss.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 01:09:24 PM »
Dental floss works well for the vents. Shoot it with some degreaser, let it soak for a little while and then go at it with the dental floss.

Good idea.
Still need a 22” yellow

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 01:09:58 PM »
Thanks for the tips, I am honestly pretty new to charcoal grilling and smoking only been at it for like 3 months. Forgive me if these are things I should already know. I've seen people talk about seasoning a grill but I guess I'm not sure what it means. I assumed it meant that the walls of your grill have grease and such built up a little, not gross but you'll have a nice BBQ aroma when you lift the lid off. Then I read something about mold and I assumed that you need to clean it often. My concern right now is just to get my top vent to move easily rather than requiring a pair of pliers to turn and the metal bending. I'm okay with leaving the rim a little gunky as I agree the seal seems to be better.

No need to apologize. We're all here to learn.
Still need a 22” yellow

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 03:22:54 PM »
I have seen barkeepers friend recommended a few times here so I grabbed a can. Stuff works pretty good and for price it's a steal. I clean a lot of grills to sell but on my cookers I just keep grates clean and make sure sweeps turn free. A cheap plastic putty knife will remove a significant amount of gunk.

Lately I've found the best weapon against grease is using a drip pan when cooking indirect. Beat the mess before it happens.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 06:49:47 PM »
Get one of those black plastic handle grips from Weber that fit on the tab of the lid vent. Once installed, that will provide a nice, big, easy grip to turn even the most "gunked up" lid vents. Also, don't clean the inside. You want it seasoned good with smoke, soot, and carbon. It also helps keep it sealed better around the edge. Keep the cook grate clean though.

The mold you are hearing about is only going to occur on the cook grates where bbq sauce was left behind. It's the sugar in the bbq sauce that causes it. Each time you build a hot fire inside, it's killing all the germs and bacteria. If you want the outside looking clean and sharp, get some of that Weber exterior grill cleaner. It comes in a spray bottle and works like car wax cleaner. It will give your kettle finish a great shine.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

SoupDogg77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 02:55:09 AM »
Thanks guys, I think I'm just going to try and figure out the daisy wheel vent on top and let the inside stay seasoned, that makes sense. I'll try the floss as well as soap and water, wasn't sure if it was that simple. Feels like I'd need to get under there. I'd love to find a rubber grip if they sell one, esp for when I'm cooking.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 03:38:38 AM »
Thanks guys, I think I'm just going to try and figure out the daisy wheel vent on top and let the inside stay seasoned, that makes sense. I'll try the floss as well as soap and water, wasn't sure if it was that simple. Feels like I'd need to get under there. I'd love to find a rubber grip if they sell one, esp for when I'm cooking.

If vent is concern. Grab some greased lightning degreaser spray inside and out and let soak. Once it moves turn a bit spray and soak again. If it won't move. Gently tap handle tab sideways LIGHTLY with hammer.

You can slightly warm up gently to get things moving too.

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 04:24:34 AM »
... I'd love to find a rubber grip if they sell one, esp for when I'm cooking.

@SoupDogg77 Weber calls it a "handle for lid damper" available separately: http://www.ereplacementparts.com/handle-for-lid-damper-molded-black-p-2127037.html Sooner or later all of mine get these. Funny how a little thing like that makes it a lot easier to turn on a hot grill, because you can then turn it slowly instead of hitting the tab sideways quickly to avoid a burn!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 08:36:45 AM »
Something I try to remember to do is open all the vents on my grills back up after they've cooled off. This helps the air flow through and prevent mold build-up. I'm blessed to be able to store all of my grills inside a work room attached to my garage, so I have no fear of rain. But it works just the same if you have a cover(s).
Growing family = growing kettles!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 12:39:15 PM »

Contact @zavod44 He can make you a wood one. Replace your plastic handles, while you're at it.
Still need a 22” yellow

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 02:12:18 PM »
Something seems odd about your top vent being so cruddy after only 3 months.
Do you mind posting some pictures?

I'm just curious as to what's going on. The top vent on my dedicated smoker gummed up too, but that was after a year of weekly overnight smokes (8+ butts a week)