Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rescued "White Buffalo" UPDATE  (Read 4347 times)

bladz

• WKC Ranger
Re: Rescued "White Buffalo" UPDATE
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 05:16:29 PM »
Another thought is to put the donor kettle on the inside. That would need to have the 3 individual leg socket holes cut open a little bit to accommodate the donor's legs sticking through. Not cutting the entire bottom out just the 3 holes the new leg sockets need. I'd never suggest hacking a kettle of this caliber, only minor modifications that'll extend its use. I dont think it can be put back on its own set of legs again without some constructive damage.

You could still use the vents for your boltup but I'd recommend using SS fender washers and either elliptical or distorted thread lock nuts on the inside. Those lock nuts dont have any plastic and theyll never loosen without a tool. All while being loose enough for the wheels to turn and not do any damage to the porcelain.

If you went that route.

On George's original kettle he had a nest for the kettle to sit in and that would be fairly cheap and easy alternative that'll buy you time to get more ideas and input before you do anything. I imagine if you want to cook on it right now you could set it in another kettle, on its handles, and cook.

And if you do rehab the rusty relic from the inside the fix would be damn near as invisible as a nun's nipples after you paint her leg sockets.

Or you can send it to me and you wont have anything to worry about.

@Hell Fire Grill, interesting way of looking at restoring a rusted out under carriage.  I do have a couple donor kettles I could practice on. Maybe do a test run of sorts on one of those and see how it turns out.  Thanks for your input.  I really appreciate it!

steviesandwich

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 08:25:22 AM »
Nothing like that here in the UK :(

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2016, 08:58:17 AM »
Wow what a great clean up.  From what you started with to what you have now is very impressive.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2016, 10:06:39 AM »
That is a beautiful kettle.  I almost like it with the blemishes more...reminds me of a Holstein cow.  I can't wait to see how it all turns out. 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!