Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Found a 99' EE Redhead...Guess I'll restore it!  (Read 1822 times)

Titus

• Smokey Joe
Found a 99' EE Redhead...Guess I'll restore it!
« on: May 13, 2016, 06:44:49 PM »
Heya. New around here, thought I'd join to get advice on and see what others do restoration wise. Never restored a grill, but I lucked into a 99 Redhead EE that was abandoned and left out for over a decade. It's in rough-ish shape...But certainly fixable!

I'll be replacing the rotted wooden handles with the replica wooden ones. The wheels I'll replace, just for cosmetics, as these are a bit rough. The grates may as well just be replaced. Other than that, it also needs an ash catcher.

I saw how to clean them for restoration, but the paint on the inside of this is peeling, so I may have to just scrape it all of. But I worry, don't they use a special paint and such?

Here's some pics, any advice is appreciated!

1995 EO Smokey Joe, Ol' Smokey. EE Mastertouch 1999 Redhead, Big Red. AT 2013 OTG.(No name yet) 2016 Walmart Special, Wally.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: Found a 99' EE Redhead...Guess I'll restore it!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 06:58:13 PM »
Nice score!

The interior is porcelain coated not painted, the buildup can be removed with a razor scraper.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Titus

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 07:03:29 PM »
It's got flakey black stuff that looks like paint come off it, like someone spray painted it. Could just be old buildup. Either way, it comes off quite easy with the scraper, and the underneath is smooth porcelain.

It's in good shape, all things considered!
1995 EO Smokey Joe, Ol' Smokey. EE Mastertouch 1999 Redhead, Big Red. AT 2013 OTG.(No name yet) 2016 Walmart Special, Wally.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 07:22:58 PM »

Nice score. I have a EE redhead M/T I purchased new in 99.  It is my workhorse.  That black peeling stuff in the picture of your lid I believe is just built up smoke and grease.  It will come right off when scraped with a razor blade.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 08:01:52 PM »
Two beautiful grills! 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 04:52:42 AM »
First off, welcome and congratulations on a great find! Reds are awesome, they'll get darker and color shift when you get them hot.

That's totally just gunk in there scrape if off and if you really want to get it clean go at it with some superfine steel wool and dish soap. Never pain the the inside of your grill. Let the grease cover over and protect and exposed metal that may rust.

Personally, I like to completely clean any "new to me" grill. That way I know what's been cooked it, plus I guess I just like cleaning and restoring them.

As you use it'll build up layers of grease that'll help it seal up better and become a better cooker.

Titus

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 12:44:30 PM »
Ahh, yes. Just scraped some of it off..It's definitely some old grime!

I feel the same way about anything I get that I cook on, WNC. I like it to be "new", so to speak.

I found the ash catcher, but it's got some metal wiring they used it looks to hook it up, and is missing the connecting top part. If I can't find a top part for sale, I'll just get a new one (Or complete used one)

Great day out here in Maine, I'll be cleaning it off and show the updates.

Edit: Sprayed it down good, in and out with the hose after disassembling it. It has some rust holes and rot near the leg struts, but other than that no rust on it. There are some dents and dings. Drying off now, then cleaning out more thoroughly with a razor. I'll then put it back together and take pictures.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 02:05:01 PM by Titus »