Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Porcelain issues  (Read 3101 times)

RumBar

• WKC Brave
Porcelain issues
« on: February 29, 2016, 04:37:08 AM »
The lid from my $10 CL Performer score looks stained but when I got around to cleaning it up yesterday after using steel wool and vinegar it still looked the same. It's almost like the porcelain is pitted, it's rough also. Rough enough that if I left it outside I think it would rust. It is odd to see so much damage to it because it don't think it grill was used more than two or three times (I don't think they ever used charcoal with it, I believe they just turned on the gas and thought that's how it worked).
Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions about it.

●|||||||●

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Re: Porcelain issues
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 05:52:13 AM »
Did you try scraping a spot, with a razor blade, to see if it clears? Long shot: maybe they put something on to keep it shiny (wax, clearcoat?), but once it felt heat it dulled & bonded like epoxy. I've had a couple instances w/ similar issue (smaller spots usually).  Scrub w/ steel wool & mag wheel cleaner, let sit a minute, cross fingers, scrape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 05:26:04 PM »
Given the wear pattern it looks like abrasion from a cover. The lid handle elevates the center portion so it only starts rubbing farther away. Even though it's not shiny I don't think it would rust.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 05:41:46 PM »
Had the same marks on a blue MT that would not come off
Tried everything
Thinking previous owner had a cover on it out in the sun and
It stuck to the lid and caused a reaction

Happy to be told different
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 05:18:17 AM »
Thanks for the comments. I'm going with the abrasion theory. It is actually kinda cool looking, it reminds me a bit of the Milky Way Galaxy up close so I was going to name this grill Galaxar. A quick Google search came up with Gallaxhar, the bad alien from the movie Monsters vs. Aliens. His head resembles my grill so from here on out it'll be dubbed GALLAXHAR.

●|||||||●

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 07:41:10 AM »
@RumBar  -  Have you called Weber CS? Your grill appears to be new enough to still be under warranty.  While I doubt in this case they will do anything, it is always possible there was a bad run of kettles that are all having this problem in which case they might replace it.  It's worth a shot...especially if you can get a brand new lid on a $10 CL find.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 09:55:11 AM »
I did end up calling Weber CS but they were unable to help. Not big deal as it still looks and works great. I ended up putting it on my enclosed patio under the stainless vent hood I installed earlier. I'm pretty happy with the look. Thank you for the suggestion to call them though.

●|||||||●

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 10:10:35 AM »
I did end up calling Weber CS but they were unable to help. Not big deal as it still looks and works great. I ended up putting it on my enclosed patio under the stainless vent hood I installed earlier. I'm pretty happy with the look. Thank you for the suggestion to call them though.

●|||||||●

That's a sweet set-up you got there!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 02:40:42 PM »
Gallaxhar. Good name for it. Gives character. That is a sweet set up you got there. Is that an 8412 wok hanging up? I just got one the other day, bit haven't had a chance to break her in yet. Tfs.

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 03:43:09 PM »
Yes on the wok. I've had it for years and never really used it but my son had been bugging me to get out. We fired it up a couple weekends ago and the food turned out great. It was really fun and easy to cook on, in fact my son did all the cooking that night, I just prepped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 03:44:46 PM »

●|||||||●

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 03:45:21 PM »

●|||||||●

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 04:35:18 PM »
... in fact my son did all the cooking that night, I just prepped.

That's so cool. My girl got involved in grilling this winter as part of a school project she did. The other day she asked me if she could have her own grill.

"Oh," I said, 'Like the smaller one we got from Grandpa?" (An 18.5" and more her size etc.)

"No. I want your red one." (SS Performer)

"Um, let me think about that, OK?"

KIDS TODAY! The grave ain't even cold yet!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch