Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Jumbo Joe Mod  (Read 6679 times)

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
Re: Jumbo Joe Mod
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 12:20:53 PM »

Where did you order the knob and do you think it would work on a SJ?
Yes it should work on the SJ. The vent tab will have to be bent down so that the knob would not rub against the kettle. The link to the site is;
http://www.clagrills.com/allgrillparts/backyard_grill/backyard_grill-all-knobs-handles.htm

The knob is located on the bottom of the page. You may have to buy a longer 1/4-20 bolt, because the supplied bolt may be too short.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 05:56:04 AM »
Do you think this would work?

Davies Thermoset Tapered Knob, Smooth Rim, Threaded Hole, 1/4"-20 Thread Size X 3/8" Thread Length, 7/8" Diameter (Pack of 5) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LRR28U/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_30c5wbFWCPW8M

Where did you order the knob and do you think it would work on a SJ?
Yes it should work on the SJ. The vent tab will have to be bent down so that the knob would not rub against the kettle. The link to the site is;
http://www.clagrills.com/allgrillparts/backyard_grill/backyard_grill-all-knobs-handles.htm

The knob is located on the bottom of the page. You may have to buy a longer 1/4-20 bolt, because the supplied bolt may be too short.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2016, 06:38:59 AM »
Remember to splurge for SS hardware.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2016, 07:12:13 AM »
Definitely will. Damn wish I would've seen that. Pack of five? Wow! Great find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 01:09:36 AM »
Almost completely OT here...I've always seen these table top kettles as "picnic/camping" kettles.

What do you guys use them for if you're not doing the mini-WSM mod?

Even though I have an OTG at my lobster dock I'll use the SJ if I'm cooking lunch for myself.  Often times  a single steak or a small package of drumsticks. 

You can get away with using a lot less fuel and get a nice sear on a steak with the coals being so close to the grate. 
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 01:42:46 PM »
Thanks @Bustin Butt and @addicted-to-smoke for the advice.  Just back from Playa del Carmen to see a bunch of new accessories on the doorstop.  Even my mechanically challenged skills were able to install the knob on  the bottom vent of my SJ silver.

Wouldn't have taken the leap to order the parts without your advice.  Thanks again.