Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Overheated Performer  (Read 7339 times)

Hofy

• WKC Brave
Re: Overheated Performer
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 07:37:50 PM »
This has happened  A LOT with high heat cooks.   Here is my brick red less than 2 years old.   A call to Weber and in less than 48 hours I had a new bowl on my door step.

EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

JP

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 10:43:58 PM »
I just got reply from Weber, they will send me new bowl becouse it has 5 years warranty, but not charcoal bin becouse it only has 2 years warranty and it should not melt like that if used normally.  They also said that if grill is heated over  300 celcius it's overheated.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 11:21:16 PM »
300 degrees Celsius is only 572 degrees Fahrenheit.  You can barely cook Pizza at that temp ???   Doesn't make sense to say that 300C is overheated ???

One of my C&B Grass Green Perf Dlx has bad crazing around the entire circumference of the bowl and badly melted rollers.  Of course Weber CS, in the USA, is very very good about replacing damaged parts.   Sooooooo, if your crazing is isolated to the fire tube side of the bowl, then something probably left the Touch-n-Go starter "lit" for quite some time, or, it had a excessive flow of LPG that caused flames from both ends of the tube ???   I can't explain why the thermoset table survived, but I'd watch your start up very carefully for a while to observe any strange flames !!!

BTW, I still use the C&B, crazing and all, she cooks just fine and she looks kind of rugged :)  ;D                                    SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

JP

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 12:05:16 AM »
300 degrees Celsius is only 572 degrees Fahrenheit.  You can barely cook Pizza at that temp ???   Doesn't make sense to say that 300C is overheated ???

One of my C&B Grass Green Perf Dlx has bad crazing around the entire circumference of the bowl and badly melted rollers.  Of course Weber CS, in the USA, is very very good about replacing damaged parts.   Sooooooo, if your crazing is isolated to the fire tube side of the bowl, then something probably left the Touch-n-Go starter "lit" for quite some time, or, it had a excessive flow of LPG that caused flames from both ends of the tube ???   I can't explain why the thermoset table survived, but I'd watch your start up very carefully for a while to observe any strange flames !!!

BTW, I still use the C&B, crazing and all, she cooks just fine and she looks kind of rugged :)  ;D                                    SJ

I'll specify.. ;)
Customer service said that if grill is heated much more than 300c then its overheated. But didn't specify how much is "much".  I'll have to check gas ignition system and make sure it works properly.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 12:30:38 AM »
    Thats exactly how both my C&B performers came to me, never thought of escaping flames as a possible cause. Very interesting.
Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 11:41:32 AM »
I just noticed you are in finland..are you cooking in subzero temp? ..lighting up a kettle in -20 degree weather with a fast rise cook temp could cause the enamel crack due to extreme temp swings?
Im still mostly curious how he could melt the coal bucket like that without damaging the rollers....

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 11:54:06 AM »
Between my KettlePizza and my vortex I have had my 96 SS Performer well over 1000 F.  My infrared only goes up to 1022 F then reads "HI" and I've had it do that plenty of times.  I've had no damage to my kettle finish other than melting the plastic on my lid vent when I accidentally left it open using my kettlepizza.  I'm guessing the craving we see on some grills has to do with a bad porcelin or enamel job, or something in that process that wasn't quite right.

My lid handle did break off, but it was a bit wobbly when I got it about a year ago.  I'm sure hot cooks didn't help, but when it broke off I could see there was a little bit of rust where it broke.  Luckily it left to small holes in the lid, so I just drilled matching holes in the handle and bolted it back on with SS bolts.  The weird thing is that I had recently done a hot cook or two where the handle held up fine, then when it finally popped I was doing a medium heat (350-400F) cook. 
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2016, 12:00:09 PM »
I just noticed you are in finland..are you cooking in subzero temp? ..lighting up a kettle in -20 degree weather with a fast rise cook temp could cause the enamel crack due to extreme temp swings?
Im still mostly curious how he could melt the coal bucket like that without damaging the rollers....

I can see that happening with a starter FULL of hot coals going into a very cold kettle, but that's typically not how a performer is used.  It's TnG warms the entire kettle while it's on for 5-7 minutes or so  ...  not such a shock to the kettle in that case.

No damage to the rollers kind of indicates that the "kettle" was NOT "overheated"  ...  only damage was near the TnG.

I'd make a stronger case with Weber CS, THEY may have a faulty TnG design (in some cases).                         SJ

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 12:05:11 PM »

I can see that happening with a starter FULL of hot coals going into a very cold kettle, but that's typically not how a performer is used.  It's TnG warms the entire kettle while it's on for 5-7 minutes or so  ...  not such a shock to the kettle in that case.

No damage to the rollers kind of indicates that the "kettle" was NOT "overheated"  ...  only damage was near the TnG.

I'd make a stronger case with Weber CS, THEY may have a faulty TnG design (in some cases).                         SJ

Great points @SmokenJoe.  You would also think that if the TnG was the cause, there would be some sign of fire or smoke on the bottom of the table which I'm not seeing.

@JP -  Are you on good terms with all of your neighbors?  LOL
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2016, 12:18:53 PM »
@JP, @MikeRocksTheRed    I just took another look at your original pics.   IMHO you have a major issue with your TnG system.  It must be the case that the melting/scorching point of the thermoset table is higher than that of the charbin.   When you re-contact CS make certain that you aren't just asking for a bowl, you deserve a charbin AND an entire TnG system including the LPG regulating device.  Something is NOT right with your Performer.                              SJ

stellato1976

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2016, 02:42:52 AM »
I have the same problem.  My charcoal bin melted just like that. Please let me know what Weber says.
Stay grilling  my friends!!!!

JP

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2016, 03:38:02 AM »

I have the same problem.  My charcoal bin melted just like that. Please let me know what Weber says.

Do you have gas assist on your Performer?
I will investigate my gas assist during weekend and then get back to Weber CS.

stellato1976

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2016, 07:57:38 AM »
Yes I have the gas assist.. I thought it was caused by banking my coals on that side.. not sure but it should not melt like that
Stay grilling  my friends!!!!

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2016, 07:59:42 AM »
Are you the only owner/operator of the grill?

Yes, it's less than three years old

There's some smoke on the bottom of the kettle. That normally only happens momentarily when theres a big hot, greasy, fire in the grill that was allowed to burn unchecked, then the lid gets put on (to control it) and the heat & flames jump out the bottom vents briefly.

All that heat didnt appear to melt the table top, or it was relpaced after.

Im not familiar with the gas supply line being metal, Iv only seen rubber lines on older SS grills.

My first guess is the touch & go was used with a big pile of fuel and was left unattended while the rig went nuclear and had a melt down.

Second guess is there was a gas leak from a broken part that torched some stuff.

I haven't used touch and go for a while, and when use it i will never put more fuel than one chimney. and i only use it for 5-10 minutes.
I will have to check touch &  go for leaks.

How are you lighting the coals if your not using the T&G?
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

JP

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2016, 08:30:28 AM »
Are you the only owner/operator of the grill?

Yes, it's less than three years old

There's some smoke on the bottom of the kettle. That normally only happens momentarily when theres a big hot, greasy, fire in the grill that was allowed to burn unchecked, then the lid gets put on (to control it) and the heat & flames jump out the bottom vents briefly.

All that heat didnt appear to melt the table top, or it was relpaced after.

Im not familiar with the gas supply line being metal, Iv only seen rubber lines on older SS grills.

My first guess is the touch & go was used with a big pile of fuel and was left unattended while the rig went nuclear and had a melt down.

Second guess is there was a gas leak from a broken part that torched some stuff.

I haven't used touch and go for a while, and when use it i will never put more fuel than one chimney. and i only use it for 5-10 minutes.
I will have to check touch &  go for leaks.

How are you lighting the coals if your not using the T&G?
In wintertime i normally use chimney becouse gas does not work properly when its very cold, but in summertime i use touch & go.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 08:32:43 AM by JP »