Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Burger blends  (Read 4402 times)

EricD

• WKC Brave
Burger blends
« on: February 29, 2016, 07:51:23 AM »
Since joining this site....I've been changing and learning a lot of different and new techniques to up my BBQ game.  It also goes to show me how poorly I was doing BBQ before!
One of the biggest changes I've made is buying ground chuck for burgers now instead of the dreadful supermarket "hamburger meat".  What a world of difference in just that change alone.
But now I'm on the hunt for the PERFECT meat blends.  I'm curious if any of you guys create your own meat blends and what you use.
I guess it's fair to start:  I've been using a 2 part ground chuck with 1 part short rib.
I am by no means a food critic, but the short rib adds a new depth of flavor with a different texture that really boosts a burger.
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Burger blends
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 09:26:12 AM »
A simple hand grinder, or even an electric.....then grind brisket & mix into chuck......

I've not actually done this, but seen people talk of this magical combination many times.....

Brisket has that intense "beefy" flavor to it, which is why so many people like it as a BBQ staple....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 01:47:47 PM »
I was just at a butchers shop with a deli attached to it over the weekend.  They offered a burger that was 2 parts chorizo to 1 part beef.  Not sure what blend or cut the beef was from but it sounded awesome.  Unforunately I had brunch plans and couldn't give the burger a chance.  I have a bunch of chorizo in my freezer so I might have to give it a try.   Generally I just use ground beef from the grocery store and have had no complaints.  I prefer to use 80/20.  Anything leaner than that makes the burger come out too dense in my opinion.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 01:52:48 PM »
I mix Sirloin and chuck those are two grinds my butcher offers . I also really like a ground pork and ground chuck mix for burgers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
Good Burger
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 10:14:20 PM »
Time to make up some good burger (60/40) blend with four nice choice chuck roasts and the wonderful fat I cut off of my choice whole ribeye loin. I use this burger meat for grilling up the very best medium rare hamburgers that I have ever tasted.

My four choice chuck roasts weighed a total of 12.29 pounds and the choice ribeye steak fat came in at 3.42 pounds.

Got the meat and fat cut up and ready for the grinder.

Yea buddy....this gonna be some good stuff. Look at all that white color (fat) in the container of meat. Fat is flavor, fat is moisture, and fat is everything in a burger sandwich.

Ready for the vacuum sealer.

Vacuum sealed 15 packages of about a pound each of that beautiful burger meat.

Caution: Do use a bib to catch all the juice that will be running down both sides of your chin when you eat this burger that has been cooked to medium rare!

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 04:10:41 AM »
@Old Dave That looks phenomenal!
Right now I've been getting the butcher to grind it for me.  I think I'm going to buy the grinder attachment for my stand mixer and see what I can do!  I was thinking of doing a Sirloin grind with ground bacon for the extra fat!
I can see some experimenting going on this summer!
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 05:52:00 AM »
I have done sirloin and chuck - that is very good.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 06:33:13 AM »

Time to make up some good burger (60/40) blend with four nice choice chuck roasts and the wonderful fat I cut off of my choice whole ribeye loin. I use this burger meat for grilling up the very best medium rare hamburgers that I have ever tasted.

My four choice chuck roasts weighed a total of 12.29 pounds and the choice ribeye steak fat came in at 3.42 pounds.

Got the meat and fat cut up and ready for the grinder.

Yea buddy....this gonna be some good stuff. Look at all that white color (fat) in the container of meat. Fat is flavor, fat is moisture, and fat is everything in a burger sandwich.

Ready for the vacuum sealer.

Vacuum sealed 15 packages of about a pound each of that beautiful burger meat.

Caution: Do use a bib to catch all the juice that will be running down both sides of your chin when you eat this burger that has been cooked to medium rare!

We just grind chuck roasts but adding some rib loin fat is a very resourceful idea. Sounds good!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 06:34:52 AM »

I was just at a butchers shop with a deli attached to it over the weekend.  They offered a burger that was 2 parts chorizo to 1 part beef.  Not sure what blend or cut the beef was from but it sounded awesome.  Unforunately I had brunch plans and couldn't give the burger a chance.  I have a bunch of chorizo in my freezer so I might have to give it a try.   Generally I just use ground beef from the grocery store and have had no complaints.  I prefer to use 80/20.  Anything leaner than that makes the burger come out too dense in my opinion.

I understand that some chorizo mixed in with the beef also makes a killer meat loaf.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 06:26:45 PM »
I like to take some ground venison and mix it (50/50) with some higher fat % ground sirloin/ground chuck. while mixing(by hand), I add in Worcestershire sauce, teriyaki sauce(thin variety similar to soy sauce, not the thick stuff), minced onion and a hint of whatever steak seasoning I have on hand at that moment. after it's all well mixed(by hand still), form up the patties and lay them out while I prepare whatever cooking method i'm going to use on them(grill, iron skillet...etc). then cook them quickly to a medium. it takes almost no time at all. even though I've added fatty beef, the venison is still super lean and it doesn't take much to overcook them.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 08:43:34 PM »
Brisket works well too when mixed with chuck. You can control the fat content pretty easily by mixing the different parts of flat, point, and fat layer. The best burger I've ever had was made of (shoulder or chuck or brisket) + (short rib or hangar steak scraps) + (sirloin tips or another highly marbled cut) + bone marrow + suet.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 10:40:55 AM »
@pbe gummi bear , do you realize the "best burger you've ever had"  is kinda vague?  lol!!!!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 10:43:15 AM »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 10:50:01 AM »
That's Awesome!!   I'm only 25 minute drive from there.   Guess what I'm doing this weekend!!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 04:19:05 PM »
I have been using a chuck/pork mixture lately. At 140°, the juices will drip down your arm.
Still need a 22” yellow