Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Freezer Burned Pork Loin  (Read 2001 times)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Freezer Burned Pork Loin
« on: February 28, 2016, 08:10:55 PM »
Two weeks ago I defrosted the chest freezer.
It's the perfect time of year as the garage is the ideal place to put all of the contents for 1-2 hours.

Also a great time to take inventory.  Found some "lost" stuff … or the stuff that has been buried.

Found a 3 lb pork loin that was close to 2 years in the box.  It appears as if the vacuum seal may have been compromised.  No problem.

Got it defrosted, then a light coating of EVOO, and some fresh cracked S&P.  Let this sit for about 4-5 hours in the beer fridge.

The 18" OTG got the call for this particular cook.  Fired up a half chimney of lump (some new, some used).  Cherry wood for smoke.

After the pre-heat stage (25-30 mins), the meat went on, and the cooker temp settled in to its sweet spot.
Intakes were open just a smidge.  Lid vent open wide, as always.

After about 70 minutes, I got an IT of 116°.  That's when I added the second grate …. Intakes went wide open at this stage.
I took a page out of @Idahawk 's cook-book and placed 2 romaine hearts on it (marinaded in salad dressing). Wrapped in elastic courtesy of @SixZeroFour .
Also, some broccoli went on the main grate indirect.

The romaine hearts came off after about 25 minutes.  Also took off the the pork loin.
Then went direct with the broccoli.

I gotta say that this meal was fantastic.
I have seen recently some posts of grilled cabbage and cauliflower, so I had to give it a go with broccoli.  I recommend it.

Thanks for looking.  :D

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Freezer Burned Pork Loin
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 08:22:51 PM »
That looks so good! What kind of dressing do you marinate the lettuce in? Do you add more dressing after it comes off?

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 08:26:47 PM »
What kind of dressing do you marinate the lettuce in? Do you add more dressing after it comes off?

It was some type of Italian or vidalia onion dressing / marinade.  Picked it up at Costco a while back.  No need to add more after it comes off.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 01:40:21 AM »
Two weeks ago I defrosted the chest freezer.
It's the perfect time of year as the garage is the ideal place to put all of the contents for 1-2 hours.

Also a great time to take inventory.  Found some "lost" stuff … or the stuff that has been buried.

Found a 3 lb pork loin that was close to 2 years in the box.  It appears as if the vacuum seal may have been compromised.  No problem

Another great reason why we all should have or know someone who has ;) the "Vac Seal" kit.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 06:55:17 AM »
Awesome cook ! What did you think of the Grilled Romaine ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 06:57:22 AM »
Nice cook @MacEggs!!!!!  I need to try broccoli on the grill.  Romaine on the grill is one of my favorites. 
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 09:31:24 AM »
Good Show Mark !!!!

I hung out there & grilled broccoli for the first time ever the other day....it was good!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 10:07:29 AM »
Grilled veggies rock, heck anything grilled tastes better!  Excellent looking cook!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 12:00:07 PM »
Thanks for looking, guys!

@Idahawk , this was my 2nd attempt at it, and they turned out much better than the first try.  Left them on longer.
I will definitely be grilling veggies more.  The flavour just can't be beat compared to boiled or steamed.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 01:32:45 PM »
Nice work Mac!! Those romaine hearts sound and look delicious. ...Smoky Caesar would be good...MmMmmMmMMMmmmmmm
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 03:09:53 PM »
Looks awesome, and like you filled that 18 up!