Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Has anyhone heard a rumor....  (Read 105548 times)

jmbaute

• Happy Cooker
Re: Has anyhone heard a rumor....
« Reply #360 on: April 06, 2016, 06:25:55 AM »
And first on my list of "things I'm not buying" is now the Summit Charcoal Grill.

1. Damn, it is ugly
2. Way too expensive. Just not a good value for the price.
3. For the price I'd expect way more surface area on the work table.

I had some high hopes but agree with others that they've missed the mark. But then again, we probably are not their target audience as most of us have multiple machines.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #361 on: April 06, 2016, 06:28:04 AM »
I think I know what happened here:

An exec from the investment firm owns a Bug Green Egg, he had an idea and no one wanted to tell him NO.

This is a disaster.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #362 on: April 06, 2016, 06:30:12 AM »
At least it can be painted without the new paint burning off
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #363 on: April 06, 2016, 06:30:43 AM »
Very versatile looking.  How cool would it be if it was RED!!!
Speaking of colors, how sweet does that blue WSM in the background of the overview video look? Did they put something that is unavailable behind the grill that is really pricy just to rub it in?

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #364 on: April 06, 2016, 06:33:45 AM »
I'm not rushing out to buy one, but I think it will do fine.   They are definitely going after the high end market.  Looking at some pics from the Firecraft site, it's highly engineered and higher quality than any of Weber's other Kettle offerings.   Check out the hinge.

I'd wager that the inner and outer shell of the bowl is thicker gauge than any of their Kettles. 

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #365 on: April 06, 2016, 06:35:26 AM »
I'm happy to see that Weber added to the Charcoal lineup , first new charcoal design since the Platinum in 2010 I believe ? As far as price goes it's right in line with the ceramic cookers around the same size .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #366 on: April 06, 2016, 06:35:46 AM »
I am not sure it is possible to be any less excited about something!! WAY too much money....I guess it just makes me love my kettles and WSM even more..

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #367 on: April 06, 2016, 06:36:50 AM »
I actually think it's pretty cool and I would be interested.  I think the features are really nice, but at that price there's just no way I could justify..... However I'm not at that grill price point on any level, all the Summit series grills are beyond my price point so I guess this is another one of them.  I do like the fact Weber is trying to innovate in the charcoal space.  there's obviously a market, big green egg sells like crazy and Komado as well, they are obviously targeting that market. 

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #368 on: April 06, 2016, 06:37:12 AM »
On a more positive note, I do like the design of the flip up lid vent. If it works as good as it looks that could be sweet.

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #369 on: April 06, 2016, 06:38:11 AM »
I will say I do like the hinged vent on top and the heavy casters... but i'm not paying anywhere near that price for those.

Sorry didnt see:
On a more positive note, I do like the design of the flip up lid vent. If it works as good as it looks that could be sweet.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 06:41:23 AM by Jtayres »
Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #370 on: April 06, 2016, 06:39:41 AM »
so basically its an insulated performer? What am I missing? twitter says its a double walled air insulated bowl and lid.

Weber has stood the test of time because they make a versatile, well made product that is simple and effective. This is the complete opposite of that approach. expensive and complex. I don't see it being a hit but hey we will see!
Hotty Toddy!

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #371 on: April 06, 2016, 06:41:21 AM »
If it was $500-700, try to figure out a way to get it.  At $1500, not even considering it....maybe some of the features will carry over to the regular kettles? 

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #372 on: April 06, 2016, 06:42:23 AM »
I like the well thought out design and how versatile it appears.  I just can't see myself ever dropping 2K.  I hope the market will support this machine.
In the meantime, I'm gonna continue to give my own gas assist smoker a thorough workout this summer

Kettle collector AND cooker!

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #373 on: April 06, 2016, 06:42:51 AM »
It's the same grate size as an XL Big Green Egg which retails at $1199. I'll stick with my Char-Griller Akorn. The fancy one with a table retails at $400.
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

hogsfan

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #374 on: April 06, 2016, 06:43:30 AM »
I think I know what happened here:

An exec from the investment firm owns a Bug Green Egg, he had an idea and no one wanted to tell him NO.

This is a disaster.

This was my thought as well.

This does absolutely nothing for me. I feel like it should cost around $800 dollars and even that's just because it has Weber's name on it. I know they are going for the high end market, but this is not what people with $2K spend their money on. Even if rich dad really wants it, rich mom will veto based on the awkward looks alone.

I'm so disappointed after all the hype. I wish they would have just come out with a 26in performer and not gotten greedy. People are going to get fired over this.