Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Peruvian style chicken  (Read 2708 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Peruvian style chicken
« on: February 25, 2016, 07:17:41 AM »
When I lived in Northern Virginia there were a few places that had really good Peruvian style chicken. I haven't found a place out here in AZ yet so I decided to try replicating it. It took me a while to find a recipe I felt would be closest to the real deal.  The recipe came out really good.  The green sauce was right on and I didn't realize how much I had missed it.   The chicken rub also came out very good.

Did two spatchcocked chickens on he 26er with the SNS.  The SNS performed perfectly and gave me tons of room for the birds.  I didn't exactly follow the grilling instructions in the recipe since I didn't flip the chicken over and cook skin side down at the end.  I just cooked indirect at 350 until the breast hit 165.  Both chickens were almost the same weight and both hit 165 within a minute of each other. 

I also cooked some cauliflower steaks (thanks for the idea Bill) that I thought came out great.  Regan thought it was a little too charred which will be easy to fix on the next attempt.  I sliced the cauliflower in 1 1/2" slices, coated with EVOO, salt, pepper, garlic powder, crushed red pepper, the grilled direct with the SNS.  I went a bit heavy on the EVOO which caused more flare ups than I really wanted.  Less EVOO will fix the flare ups and excessive charring next time. I loved it. To me the charring gave a nice caramelized flavor.  It was soft and sweet on the outside and just firm enough to hold together in the middle without being too crunchy. 

Peruvian Chicken Recipe

Rubbed and ready.

All done.   I didn't take any pics on the grill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 08:53:52 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Re: Peruvian style chicken
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 08:50:28 AM »
 The chicken looks dam good ! Love the cauliflower steak idea too ! 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 09:45:17 AM »
The chicken looks really good, and the cauliflower looks fine to me. I've been wanting to try both so thanks for the recipe and details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 09:47:00 AM »
The chicken looks great!  Nice idea.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 03:28:08 PM »
Dayum ! ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Hybridtwin77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 06:46:25 PM »
Holy smokes! I adapted this recipe tonight for some chicken breasts and there is not one shred of chicken left. Instead of cauliflower we went with roasted cabbage wedges and it complimented well. Didn't have any cauliflower. Thanks a million for sharing this recipe!!! Going to try that cauliflower soon, too.
Christopher
2016 MT

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 09:32:56 PM »
Nice job, Mike! Other Mike @mike.stavlund is gonna take me to that chicken place one day. :)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 05:15:02 AM »
Right on!  I've got a *lot* of places to take you when you come to DC, @pbe gummi bear .  You'd better bring an extra stomach. 
One of the charcoal people.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 09:04:12 AM »
Right on!  I've got a *lot* of places to take you when you come to DC, @pbe gummi bear .  You'd better bring an extra stomach.

Super Pollo is good, I like their spinach side, but Pollo Rico between Virginia Square and Clarendon is the best.  That place only takes cash and they collect it by the bucket load!  LOL
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 09:04:52 AM »
Holy smokes! I adapted this recipe tonight for some chicken breasts and there is not one shred of chicken left. Instead of cauliflower we went with roasted cabbage wedges and it complimented well. Didn't have any cauliflower. Thanks a million for sharing this recipe!!! Going to try that cauliflower soon, too.

Did you make the green dipping sauce?

Terry Filarecki

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 09:12:30 AM »
Chicken looks great! Thanks for sharing the recipe. It's now on my to do list.

Hybridtwin77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 07:54:49 PM »

Indeed.  The wife is putting it on everything now.  Demands I make more when she runs out.  The recipe is a winner in my book.
Christopher
2016 MT

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
Peruvian style chicken
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 04:22:17 PM »

Indeed.  The wife is putting it on everything now.  Demands I make more when she runs out.  The recipe is a winner in my book.

Had leftovers two nights ago.  Was thinking chicken Caesar salad with grilled romaine and the leftover Peruvian Chicken but my GF wanted the chicken by itself with the green sauce.  Just finished the green sauce today and am betting she'll want me to make more just to have ready to use.  It might be the reason the phrase "awesome sauce" was created!

Grilled romaine with Caesar dressing, left over Peruvian chicken reheated on the grill in a foil covered foil pan with a splash of beer for moisture, Peruvian green sauce and a grilled red onion on the side.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 06:49:15 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »