Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slow'n Sear review followup - 26" kettle cooks  (Read 7450 times)

Troy

• Statesman
Slow'n Sear review followup - 26" kettle cooks
« on: February 14, 2016, 05:40:46 PM »
There was some really great discussion after the initial Slow'n Sear review.
There were concerns and curiosities regarding performance in the larger 26" Weber kettle.
So I did a bunch of cooks with the slow'n'sear in both of my 26" kettles, 6 in total.

I documented 3 of them in this blog post.

I failed to document the cooks in the modern 26; however, it ran noticeably hotter due to the bigger and cleaner vents.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Slow'n Sear review followup - 26" kettle cooks
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 05:51:57 PM »
Nice review, Troy. Holy crap the SNS has 95 five star reviews and 1 four star review on Amazon. Kudos, @ABCbarbecue
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 06:20:14 PM »
Thanks dude. I had fun writing it for once :)

I actually should have taken new pics in the modern 26. The grates are at different heights, so the spacing and fit will be slightly different.
I'll do that as soon as @Jason returns my slow'n sear ;)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 07:46:58 PM »
Slow and sear is a nice product, thanks for the reviews
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 05:02:58 AM »
Thanks for the review!  I really like how the Slow 'N Sear works in the 26" kettle.  There's so much real estate to work with.

That said, for the spring we are coming out with an XL Slow 'N Sear designed to fit the 26" kettle.  It has a larger sear zone and holds more charcoal and water than the standard.  I've been testing it the past few weeks and I gotta say I think the 26" kettle with XL SnS makes a tremendous combo.  In fact, it's distinctive in its price range.  Pricing isn't firm but we're thinking it will retail for around $125.  The XL SnS has a bottom plate that will make it easier to use lump charcoal and also makes it easy to slide the SnS around in the grill, or pick it up while it has charcoal in it.  It's made from 8 pounds of Stainless Steel (3 more than the standard SnS).  More info soon!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 05:30:39 AM »
Wow xl slow and sear, that would be for the hard core 26 cooker.  That with a converted 22 into a hover grill you could do 6 racks of ribs or more easily.   

I still think I would stick with the reg 22 slow and sear for versatility
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 09:42:50 AM »
Thanks for the review!  I really like how the Slow 'N Sear works in the 26" kettle.  There's so much real estate to work with.

That said, for the spring we are coming out with an XL Slow 'N Sear designed to fit the 26" kettle.  It has a larger sear zone and holds more charcoal and water than the standard.  I've been testing it the past few weeks and I gotta say I think the 26" kettle with XL SnS makes a tremendous combo.  In fact, it's distinctive in its price range.  Pricing isn't firm but we're thinking it will retail for around $125.  The XL SnS has a bottom plate that will make it easier to use lump charcoal and also makes it easy to slide the SnS around in the grill, or pick it up while it has charcoal in it.  It's made from 8 pounds of Stainless Steel (3 more than the standard SnS).  More info soon!
That is awesome. Can't wait to try it out!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 02:38:11 PM »
Although Webers cook marvelously even with simple two zone indirect setups, I must say that I am intrigued by the Slow n Sear. Sounds like a great product for BBQ cuts and reverse sears.

Only thing I'd ask is, does it shield enough heat coming up from the bottom, that the meats need to be flipped?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 02:42:16 PM »
Although Webers cook marvelously even with simple two zone indirect setups, I must say that I am intrigued by the Slow n Sear. Sounds like a great product for BBQ cuts and reverse sears.

Only thing I'd ask is, does it shield enough heat coming up from the bottom, that the meats need to be flipped?

The cool zone cooks very evenly. no need for flipping in the cool zone.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 03:35:30 PM »

The cool zone cooks very evenly. no need for flipping in the cool zone.

Cool. Thanks.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 09:21:14 PM »
for the spring we are coming out with an XL Slow 'N Sear designed to fit the 26" kettle.

When will the SNS for a 26.75 Kettle be for sale?

This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 08:52:40 AM »
for the spring we are coming out with an XL Slow 'N Sear designed to fit the 26" kettle.

When will the SNS for a 26.75 Kettle be for sale?

I hope by the end of the month.  The design and testing is complete but we're waiting on them to be manufactured.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 09:03:10 AM »
Thank you so much. As soon as they become available,  I will be the first in line to buy one.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 10:28:52 AM »
Thank you so much. As soon as they become available,  I will be the first in line to buy one.

I've been abusing the prototype for a few months now.  It's amazing.  You're gonna love it.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 11:59:48 AM »
Yes, I should like to abuse one too. Please make some sort of announcement to the WKC membership as soon as they become available.  I will be the first to buy one.