Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thermometer recommendation  (Read 4175 times)

tomtappel

• WKC Brave
Thermometer recommendation
« on: February 13, 2016, 06:17:42 AM »
I have a Maverick Et-73 and after two uses, I'm not impressed. For all I know, the temp readings are accurate but I had big time issues getting the main unit to communicate with the remote unit, and for overnight smokes, that just won't cut it. My bedroom isn't any more than 50 feet from where I keep my smoker outside. I don't remember which distance the Maverick says it can handle, but what are the best other options out there? I haven't read the best reviews of the iGrill either

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Loonysup

• Smokey Joe
Thermometer recommendation
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 06:27:58 AM »
I've been going through this same dilemma for the past month.   I bought the Weber remote thermometer and used it to cook pulled pork but overall I wasn't impressed and ended up returning it the next day.   It was also dropping connection when it was well within range.   Also, there wasn't a way of setting a range for one of the probes to monitor temps at the grate.   It would notify if you hit a max temp but not if fall below a minimum.   Again, not good for overnight cooks. 

I picked up an igrill2 from Sams yesterday (the bundle with the four probes) for $89.   I'll post a review after I've used it a few times.    I've read probably 100 reviews and it looks like a lot of the negative reviews were when it first came out and the app was relatively immature.  Hopefully that is resolved and it will only get better now that Weber has acquired them. 

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seattle guy

• Happy Cooker
Re: Thermometer recommendation
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 06:58:45 AM »
The ET-73 is an older model and not so good.  I have the ET-733 which works great for me.  I also use the BBQ Guru to keep those overnight cooks going along with a Slow and Sear.  I'm a gadget guy I guess.  But pop over to Amazingribs.com and you'll find reviews on all kinds of thermometers and all kinds of other accessories.  It's a great site.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 09:21:19 PM »
@seattle guy, welcome to the club from Eugene, OR.   I have the ET-733 as well, can't say I like the programming aspect, but once I learned to power the Rcvr on before the Txtr and off before the Txtr, all seems fine.   Over a year of steady temp monitoring.   Stick around and post a few pics of your gear (kettles, accessories, cooks, like that)   ...   join in on the confab.                         SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 05:41:54 AM »
I had a ET-73 and a ET-733.  I gave them both equal chances and both failed me.  Grate temp readings seem to be quite accurate but not the food probe temps.  They are wayyyy off.  I tried several cooks in different configurations and still got poor results.  I have compared probes and found 20 degree differances between the same style probe.  For me, I am happy with my oven thermometer and my Thermopop.  I have cooked long enough to have a feel for what is going on.  I no longer need to constantly moniter the whole cook.  After a while we all get that knack.  Maybe some day these devices will improve.  Until then I will go with my method.

OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 09:41:21 AM »
I have a 733. I think the probes read the same but the inputs don't. And I always forget which is which. I never program mine because I can't remember how, and the directions suck. I use it to monitor smokes (longer cooks) that don't require critical readings. Most shorter cooks I can now cook correctly by eyeballing them. I have two Weber quasi-instant reads I can't currently locate, but the cheap oven timer works best for grate temps.

I don't want to rely on an app or my phone if I can avoid it. The 732/733 has the range of a football field. Nice for when you're at the neighbor's.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 10:32:15 AM »
I've got both the 732 and 733.  Both are quality products.  I've heard that the newer probes are less likely to fail after getting wet.

As far as signal range, at many a BBQ contest, I've walked all of the grounds talking to other pit masters who were up at 3-4 AM and never had a problem.  I've had my 732s about 4 years now and this year I'm going to toss some extra batteries in with them, just in case.

I know a lot of folks like the iGrill.  The fact that it connects to your phone and provides a record of your cook is a nice feature.  But I don't think it would have the same range as the Mavericks.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 01:34:50 PM »
The maverick 732 and 733 are both very good thermometers. The wireless range is great, the probes and inputs are accurate, and the devices are durable and long lasting.

There's bound to be some duds and defective units, which is why one out of every 100+ reviews is negative.

If you get a dud, return it.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 02:58:40 PM »
Maverick c/s is pretty good.

Keep in mind these are communicating using radio waves. They can be affected by walls and other items emitting radio waves especially WIFI.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Quadman750

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 03:12:52 PM »
+1 on the 733

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 04:15:15 PM »
Mav 732 is great never had an issue with mine.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 11:03:01 AM »
Mav 732 is great never had an issue with mine.

+1
Still need a 22” yellow

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 12:02:00 PM »
Unless you go big it doesn't seem like there are a ton of option. I was hesitant with the 733 purchase due to how many bad reviews there are but luckily so far mine has been great. Will transmit from backyard to the front yard.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 12:04:09 PM »
I like the 733.  It has a great range and I have not really had any problems.  Replaced the probes once so far after I had one cook where the probes were acting goofy, but other than that I love it.  I figure with the amount of grilling I do, if I have to replace the probes every 9-12 months, that is just part of the game.  I can walk all over my condo complex and it never loses signal.

Just looked on Amazon, and there is going to be a sale tomorrow at 10am.  Not sure what time zone that is listed.  Right now they have them for $69.99 for Prime members which is about 13% off, and tomorrow it will be even lower if you can catch the deal.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 12:18:54 PM »
Never had an issue with the range or programming on the 733.  The food temp is always way off.  Not just a few degrees but almost 20 degrees.  I may reorder once I get more info or if one of you guys can tell me why I am getting these whacked out readings from the food probe.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson