Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First cheese smoke  (Read 3571 times)

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
Re: First cheese smoke
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2016, 06:23:28 AM »
This may be a goofy question but do you just buy the cheap blocks of cheese from a grocery store or do you buy some nicer stuff somewhere else?
Hotty Toddy!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 09:20:48 AM »
This may be a goofy question but do you just buy the cheap blocks of cheese from a grocery store or do you buy some nicer stuff somewhere else?

I just bought 2lb blocks of the safeway store brand cheese.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 11:06:17 AM »
great that is what I was wondering... If I am going to cold smoke I better get to it before the Texas summer heat.
Hotty Toddy!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
First cheese smoke
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 01:58:55 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed
Kinda surprised you didn't smoke any of this:
I did my first cheese smoke 3 1/2 weeks ago w/ a brick of it, as an homage to you sir.
Put mine on cooling racks atop a tray of ice (tip I found in another post that might help you guys in the southwest).   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:03:09 PM by brewtownbeatdown »
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 02:12:16 PM »
@brewtownbeatdown - LOL.  I'm really not the bacon fiend I pretend to be when lurking around you on the forums.  I do have at least 3 packs in the freezer at all times though.  I did use some trays of ice last time.  Ice was from the ice maker in the freezer.   Will probably freeze a few solid blocks of ice for the next smoke if it is warm.  I also had a bit of a problem getting my tube going and when I got it going it burned pretty quick.  I have some alcohol gel now to make it easier to get going and hopefully it will burn slower and cooler on my next attempt.

Have you tried any of the cheese you smoked 3 weeks ago yet?  You'll have to let me know what kind of cheese you liked best.  My favorite was hands down the pepper jack.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
First cheese smoke
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 03:41:56 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed - You might not think of yourself as a "bacon fiend", but that is the reputation you are now stuck with now.  You can't control what others perceive of you.  All my coworkers think I'm some kinda sexual deviant, because of one comment I said jokingly with a serious look on my face years ago. They ask me about crazy crap, like I'm the Urban Dictionary.  Btw, it was you that came up with bacon lube. Fiend!!!
Tray of solid ice probably the best method. Maybe some foil walls as high as the cheese blocks.
Waited til last Saturday. Tried them all. Like them all. I'm a Pepper Jack guy, no matter how it's finished & this is my favorite brand.
1. Pepper Jack
2. Cheddar Jack
3. Horseradish
4. Ghost Pepper
5. Bacon
6. Muenster
7. Colby
I prefer the taste of more dense (harder) cheeses, so that's probably why I put them in that order.   Have a brick of Salami for next smoke (probably gonna be even w/ Bacon since they are both American based). Thinking my top four will be the ones I smoke from now on, maybe even a Mozzarella here & there. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞