Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Please Post Your Pics Of Canadian Mastertouch Kettles To Help Me Decide  (Read 4647 times)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Please Post Your Pics Of Canadian Mastertouch Kettles To Help Me Decide
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 02:48:44 PM »
Smoke is the one.....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 02:58:56 PM »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 03:16:38 PM »
i know people beef about the vent and temp positioning, but frankly i don't get that.

when i use coal baskets on either side of a drip pan, the old type with the 90* orientation put the thermo over the coals, which does no good.  (at least for me)

having the temp and vent NOT over the coals makes sense to me.  i can vent from between the coals, and get a temp reading from between the coals. (in the area that the food is cooking).

so basically, i can read a temp from the cooking area of the kettle, not directly over the coal bins.

never understood why nobody likes that, it seems to make more sense this way to me.  at least the way i set up my cooks. 

i guess it's a ymmv type of thing.

Do you ONLY cook with the baskets split and indirect zone in the middle?
From what I've seen, most others NEVER cook that way

I do think most are overreacting about the temp gauge. Its a reference point to help each cooker better understand their grill and their technique. It's not like baking brownies where you need exactly 25 minutes at 425 to get the perfect crispy edges and gooey centers.

My biggest issue is where the lid hook is compared to the handle. using the lid hook on the new position just isn't as easy and natural as the old because the weight makes the lid easily twist and pivot in your hand.
It's not a problem on the mastertouch or performer, but on the rest of the line it seems less convenient.

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 05:34:15 PM »
Do any of the other Star Wars nerds out there think of Captain Phasma when you see that Smoke?!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 05:47:47 PM »
i know people beef about the vent and temp positioning, but frankly i don't get that.

when i use coal baskets on either side of a drip pan, the old type with the 90* orientation put the thermo over the coals, which does no good.  (at least for me)

having the temp and vent NOT over the coals makes sense to me.  i can vent from between the coals, and get a temp reading from between the coals. (in the area that the food is cooking).

so basically, i can read a temp from the cooking area of the kettle, not directly over the coal bins.

never understood why nobody likes that, it seems to make more sense this way to me.  at least the way i set up my cooks. 

Looking at the config of your Spring green or lime grass compared to the Smoke, I can see where you are coming from. 

I generally don't use thermo's on the lid so I am an old school guy.  But you do make a compelling point and making the case for me to procure a smoke.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 04:01:12 AM »
at least the way i set up my cooks. 

Generally yes.  That's how I set up my indirect cooks.  How do most people do it?
I only use kettles with lid bales.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2016, 08:28:40 AM »
Generally I have my baskets together, on the far side of where I'm cooking.
Still need a 22” yellow

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2016, 10:08:19 AM »
at least the way i set up my cooks. 

Generally yes.  That's how I set up my indirect cooks.  How do most people do it?

It's taken me awhile but I'm doing this more and more as well.

1) It gives a more even temp to the middle food zone because more food is equidistant from heat. With heat off to one side, something is always closer to the heat and before you know it you start to use firebricks or other baffles. That's less of an issue here.

2) My drip pans and food trays tend to have right angles and that helps fit food better when the "food zone" remains rectangular. Or even if just lining up food, you want it organized for flipping or cooking evenly and less time moving it closer/away from heat. I suspect this is secretly a reason why gas grills are popular.

3) Flip grates, duh! Unless they come out with one where there's just one hinge in the middle, it's super handy to flip up and there's your coal receptacle.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch