Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Non Vortex Wings (For Now)  (Read 3783 times)

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
Non Vortex Wings (For Now)
« on: January 19, 2016, 05:50:21 PM »
Hello fellal Grillfellas!!! I did some smoked wings on the grill I do not have a vortex yet (But I will soon) but they turned out great 2hrs 10min to cook and 20 min to eat LOL. Also did some bratwursts from “The Brat Stop” in Kenosha Wi.

Brats…
•   Jalapeno Cheddar Bratwurst
•   Cheddar Bratwurst

Wings had…
•   Salt
•   Fresh Ground Pepper
•   Flower
•   “Weber” Beer Can Seasoning
•   “Smokey's Wood Pit”  Hot BBQ Sauce in “Yorkville IL”

Salted and peppered first the added Weber beer can seasoning to the flower and tossed into bowl to coat with Flower mixed with seasoning.

Grill was at 400 °F started the vent at 12:O clock 30min, the 3: O clock, 6: O clock 30min, 9: O clock 30min, then 12 O clock 10min with Sauce. Then I took off the grill. Went out to other grill to get the Brats and when I got back I had to stop people from eating them to snap the picture.

I was able to have 2 myself crunchy, moist, and tasty. I will make again!

I’m sure it took longer them the norm but it was only 1 °F. To quote a buddy of mine “A Good Time Was Had By All”

Sorry no pictures of the brats on the grill but you all have seen brats on the grill  ;) .

Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Non Vortex Wings (For Now)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 06:12:52 PM »
Those are good looking wings. The Vortex will look good poking up through that hole in your grill.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 06:24:45 PM »
Fine looking food Dan.

Contrary to popular belief it IS possible to cook good food without a Wortex. I have one and have found a use for it but could easily get bye without. The only piece of equipment we could not do without is a Weber Kettle or Kettles. Period.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 06:41:44 PM »
The only piece of equipment we could not do without is a Weber Kettle or Kettles. Period.

@MrHoss I agree!

Just thought the Vortex may help a little when its cold outside? Any thoughts?

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 06:51:57 PM »
The only thing I have found the Vortex good for is breaded wings. Unbreaded wings still need time over coals to crisp up and steak or anything else right over the contraption tend to burn not char. Placing a normal grate, as opposed to a gourmet grate with the center removed, over the Vortex quickly removes any protective grease.......leaving it prone to quick rusting. Plus the Vortex produces so much heat that it turns my devoted Copper Kettle's lid a different hue of Copper during cooks. I figure it is weakening the porcelain around the lid handle and most probably also the handle welds. Did I mention I am picky?
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 04:40:45 PM »
@Shoestringshop talk to me about that heat. How did you keep coals going in the chimney for 2 hrs? Just reloaded, and if so, did you dump in unlit, or light them elsewhere and dump in hot? No problem with the handle sitting in the heat? Thanks.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 05:08:26 AM »
@Shoestringshop talk to me about that heat. How did you keep coals going in the chimney for 2 hrs? Just reloaded, and if so, did you dump in unlit, or light them elsewhere and dump in hot? No problem with the handle sitting in the heat? Thanks.

@addicted-to-smoke ,

Q. How did you keep coals going in the chimney for 2 hrs?
A. Reloaded, Hot from another chimney

Q.  No problem with the handle sitting in the heat?
A. Not at all... Not that much heat on the outside of the chimney handle.

Turned out great. But now can't wait to get my vortex!

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 05:28:27 AM »
The only thing I have found the Vortex good for is breaded wings. Unbreaded wings still need time over coals to crisp up and steak or anything else right over the contraption tend to burn not char. Placing a normal grate, as opposed to a gourmet grate with the center removed, over the Vortex quickly removes any protective grease.......leaving it prone to quick rusting. Plus the Vortex produces so much heat that it turns my devoted Copper Kettle's lid a different hue of Copper during cooks. I figure it is weakening the porcelain around the lid handle and most probably also the handle welds. Did I mention I am picky?
Sounds like you may not be doing something right if you're not getting crispy wings without direct heat while using the Vortex

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 05:29:22 AM »
Those wings look great, bit you'll shave an hour off your time by using a Vortex

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 10:40:54 AM »
Fine looking food Dan.

Contrary to popular belief it IS possible to cook good food without a Wortex. I have one and have found a use for it but could easily get bye without. The only piece of equipment we could not do without is a Weber Kettle or Kettles. Period.
Well said Mr. Hoss. 

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

SixZeroFour

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 02:56:25 PM »
Some great looking food Sss !
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Turbo98

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 03:18:29 PM »
Wings look awesome bro!  I'm going to do some wings this weekend.  I haven't done them for a long time on the Weber.  I may use the ghetto Vortex I made from an old water/ash pan and see how they turn out. 
Just an old '89 kettle........

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Non Vortex Wings (For Now)
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 06:04:28 PM »
Hmmm. I would've thought it more efficient to just dump the charcoal in the center. Wouldn't cooking indirect, conventionally, keep more of the heat from just going straight to the lid, and make your charcoal would last longer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 06:13:10 PM by kettlecook »

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 07:42:21 PM »
2 hours and 10 minutes for wings at 400*?

All this Vortex Wing talking have my head spinning. Normally I fill both baskets and put on each side of the kettle and put the wings in the middle with all vents wide open.  I usually cook the wings whole, dont seperate them or cut off the wing tips. 30 minutes in, I flip them and never look for another 40 minutes.

The other night I decided to put the baskets dead center mimicking a Vortex and placed the wings in a circle around it. Put foil down to catch the grease. I did the same routine and let them go for 1 hour 10 mins. The heat must have reflected better over the wings as it hit the center of the lid and went down on them. They were a little more charred than normal and maybe I should have took them off at the 1 hour mark, but they were still good. Don't get me wrong, they were good, not burnt up, just a little more dry in the meat.

I can't see spending $50 on the Vortex, I don't think it will give me any better results

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 09:01:58 PM »
Medium Vortex, Ring-O-Wings around it, WFO vents, and don't touch for 25 minutes. Done.

Brown on all sides and crispy.