Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Non Vortex Wings (For Now)  (Read 3781 times)

Turbo98

• Smokey Joe
Re: Non Vortex Wings (For Now)
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 05:36:43 AM »
Medium Vortex, Ring-O-Wings around it, WFO vents, and don't touch for 25 minutes. Done.

Brown on all sides and crispy.
Awesome.  That's a fast cook!  I'm going to try that tomorrow. Open all vents and let it rip.

It seems that part of the science behind it is that it concentrates and funnels the heat straight up.  Then it mushroom around and down onto the meat. 
Just an old '89 kettle........

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 06:04:10 AM »

Medium Vortex, Ring-O-Wings around it, WFO vents, and don't touch for 25 minutes. Done.

Brown on all sides and crispy.

Now that would be quite impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 08:19:15 AM »
Baskets work just almost as good as the vortex.  I cook mine for  12 minutes, flip, 12 minutes, flip, 12 more minutes and they are done.  I like to say its 36 minutes of cook time, but its probably closer to 40 with all of the flipping.  I think wings would be too cooked to eat if I let them go an hour or longer.

@Turbo98 -  I think the only reason I bother flipping mine is so the grease can absorb into the flour on the top and bottom.  If I didn't flour my wings I probably wouldn't flip them at all.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 08:06:05 PM »
I just saw the vortex for the first time yesterday. My buddy made some wings and they were great but I found the quality of the vortex to be lacking. I thought that it would be better quality, like rolled edges to add rigidity. But it was just a piece of stainless spot welded.  Not worth the money to me.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 05:58:46 PM »
I bought a Vortex and did a whole chicken on a beer can holder in the center of it, "infrared" style... Turned out crispy and delicious!!!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 06:14:35 PM »
I just saw the vortex for the first time yesterday. My buddy made some wings and they were great but I found the quality of the vortex to be lacking. I thought that it would be better quality, like rolled edges to add rigidity. But it was just a piece of stainless spot welded.  Not worth the money to me.

I think that everyone must have the same thoughts when they see the Vortex. The probable low price of materials, the spot welds, etc. But it works. And it works differently from baskets. I've tried both. There is an airflow thing going on with the Vortex that really works for chicken parts.