Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Finally got a 22.5!  (Read 4405 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Finally got a 22.5!
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 07:51:46 AM »
"They" being what?

Lump is great everywhere!

Oh sorry,
The charcoal baskets.

Oh in that case charcoal baskets are even better since lump leaves behind a ton of little unused pieces and the baskets keep them together better than falling beneath your charcoal grate.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

ChrisJ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 11:06:46 AM »
Just ordered a set of baskets from Amazon.
The little lumps falling through the grate are a constant issue obviously.

Does anyone ever add unlit charcoal to their grill while cooking? 

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2016, 12:01:25 PM »
"They" being what?

Lump is great everywhere!
X2

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2016, 12:42:36 PM »
So I cooked on a Jumbo Joe for maybe half a year or so before getting a performer.

I used baskets on the jumbo joe too. I actually really like them with the jumbo joe because its as tall as the charcoal area. On the 22 the basket is an inch or two below the food grate, on the JJ it almost touches. 

The 22 uses slightly more coal. I think. I'm not completely convinced yet.

You always hear people say this... but then you hear them talk about how it takes more to fill it up. That seems to be people point of judgement.

I basically always use the baskets. If I am just making a burger for myself, I fill the whole basket and have about half left. This does actually seem to be the same on the 22. Possibly only a quarter of a basket left, but I am starting to think its about the same.

I've noticed when cooking indirect, the 22 seems colder... But I think its because its so big that I naturally place food on the other side, which is quite a bit further away on the 22. For instance I use to cook bacon on my JJ indirect while I was waiting for the basket to really get going. The first few times I did this on the 22 the bacon never really got cooked and I had to move it basically over the flame to get it done on time. But then on the JJ, the other side of the grill is 6 inches away... on the 22 it was like twice that.

I basically only use my 22 now though. Well not basically, the JJ has sat in the corner since. Not sure either is hotter. As I said the JJ the coal came up to the grate, there is a gap on the 22... But I have a CI grate on the 22 so it seems fine. The 22 has room for more coal, which is what IMO makes it hotter while still having the same or more indirect area...

ChrisJ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2016, 12:50:27 PM »
The one thing I'm not sure of is will my chimney hold enough coal to fill the grate on the 22.5"?
I always filled the chimney to the top for my 18.5" so it seems like it's not going to be enough for the larger grill?  Was I using too much coal on the 18.5"?

How much of a chimney load do both baskets use?

I'm talking about the full size Weber chimney, not the compact one I use with a Smokey Joe.  That was something else I found, they claim the compact chimney is good for a JumboJoe but I always found it wasn't enough.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2016, 01:04:08 PM »
If memory serves me correct, one of the large chimneys will fill two baskets.

StrayBricks

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2016, 01:17:39 PM »

If memory serves me correct, one of the large chimneys will fill two baskets.
You are correct, sir.

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 02:04:43 PM »
I'm not sure I've ever filled the charcoal grate with coal, haven't ever found it necessary or desired.  As for quantity of coal used, one of the many beauties of lump is after the cook shut it down and reuse. 

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 08:43:44 PM by Lumpy Coal »

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2016, 02:32:22 PM »
Never filled the whole grate even on my JJ... Seems like a weird idea, IDK why.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2016, 04:41:13 PM »
It's been suggested in the past, by some members herein, that "for any given stable-state temperature, eg. 225F"  it takes 25% less coal for an 18.5" kettle than a 22.5" kettle and 25% more for a 26" kettle.

For direct methods, it's not always necessary to completely cover the coal grate with hot coal  ...  thus, the charcoal baskets become an advantage in that they restrict the spread of coal away from the heat zone.

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

ChrisJ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2016, 01:27:31 PM »
Trying out my baskets for the first time now on the 22.5".
Have a roast beef + a bunch of baked potatoes going.

Curious, will one basket be enough on a Jumbo Joe for indirect cooking?  Seems like it may work perfect and it'd give me a lot more room than I normally have on the JJ for indirect.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2016, 02:57:02 PM »
Yes, I only use one basket in my JJ. Works great.

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2016, 03:04:57 PM »
When I always cooked on the JJ I only ever used one basket.

So I took the other one and flattened the tabs so I could take it apart and put it back together

When cooking indirect, I would take it apart and use the L shaped bit like a rail to hold the coal back.

1 basket is a little small for most of the indirect cooks I've done. Close but I am guessing your gonna be running out of heat towards the end.

ChrisJ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2016, 03:13:05 PM »

So I took the other one and flattened the tabs so I could take it apart and put it back together

When cooking indirect, I would take it apart and use the L shaped bit like a rail to hold the coal back.

1 basket is a little small for most of the indirect cooks I've done. Close but I am guessing your gonna be running out of heat towards the end.

Is there any downside to adding charcoal near the end?
I just did a roast beef and a bunch of baked potatoes using both baskets on the 22.5" and it worked out perfectly.  Was concerned I was going to run out of heat at the end but it worked out well with very little coals left right at the end.
It was 15F outside.

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2016, 04:22:59 PM »

Is there any downside to adding charcoal near the end?
I just did a roast beef and a bunch of baked potatoes using both baskets on the 22.5" and it worked out perfectly.  Was concerned I was going to run out of heat at the end but it worked out well with very little coals left right at the end.
It was 15F outside.
Mostly that on a JJ with no flip up grate it's inconvenient...

When you add coal there is usually a little extra smoke that is not normally as pleasant... IMO when unlit coal is in the kettle the whole time any of the unpleasant volatile stuff is essentially baked out, I never notice the smell or the smoke when the fire spreads to unlit coals... but when you throw new coals in there is always a short period of smoke/smell.
I think it usually quick enough that its not a big deal, but I'd just as soon start with all the coal needed in there.