Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lid warpage  (Read 2837 times)

Mygrane

• Happy Cooker
Lid warpage
« on: January 03, 2016, 01:47:26 PM »
Please go easy on this new member.  In my search to find a remedy for a small amount of lid warp, I came upon this great site! 
I have owned Webers all my life and have known there is a difference in the other brands.  Now I am enjoying the stories and pictures of everyone's projects.  I might have to add to the forum soon.
This is a 22" Performer purchased last year.  Got a considerable amount of smoke leakage unless I push down on the handle.  I use large binder clips - very quick and easy solution.  Have thought about gasket kits and have heard about the 'bear hug' solution.  I'm perfectly happy with the binder clips, but it is supposed to fit. 
Is there a commonly known fix and I can't seem to find it?
Thanks in advance!

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Re: Lid warpage
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 01:50:35 PM »
The bear hug is it. Be gentle.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 02:15:38 PM »
Your bowl and or lid are out of round , it can be reversed with a little manipulating...or a bear hug as it were :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 07:53:39 PM »
If your kettle is within the warranty period, warpage may be covered.    Contact Weber CS with the dilemma.  (maybe 10 years???)                          SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 09:02:50 PM »
Binder clips are a great idea!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 04:38:54 AM »
Use a tape measure checking around the lid and bowl to check.

Mygrane

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 04:18:43 PM »
Use a tape measure checking around the lid and bowl to check.

Thanks Qreps,
Hit me if I'm wrong, but I think you are suggesting I measure the diameter at different points as a reference to where to apply the 'Bear Hug' maneuver?
Great idea!
Thanks

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 07:42:46 PM »
Yes I've taken apart my performers bowls from the table measuring across the bowl at different points . Then if it's off I'll put the edge of the bowl on a nice spot in the yard were there is nothing to damage the bowl and give it a little push and keep re-checking till I'm happy with the shape