Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Variety is the spice of Meatloaf life  (Read 2249 times)

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Variety is the spice of Meatloaf life
« on: January 02, 2016, 01:10:09 AM »
New Years Day was meatloaf day.  Had friends in from outta town, and I wanted to spread the Weber way. 

Threw together four different kinds: pizza, salsa, bbq, & giardiniera.  Started all with 80% lean Chuck (no pork, not my thing), bread crumb, egg, minced garlic, & cracked pepper.  As well as a packet of onion soup mix, except on pizza style. Instead, I mixed in some grated parmesan.

Pizza:  Topped with pizza sauce.  Then a layer of parmesan & topped with shredded mozzarella.
Salsa:  Topped with salsa.
BBQ:  Topped with World Harbors StickyRum sauce.
Giardiniera:  Topped with Hot Giardiniera.   While me and my friend took the kids to go ice skating, his wife prepped some twice baked potatoes. She also made parmesan crescents rolls from scratch. Got back home with the kids, then fired up "Blue" & "Ginger". Loaded 'em up with the meatloafs & popped a few chunks of Hickory on the coals. Let cook for 35 minutes. Added a couple chunks of Pecan on the coals & put the twice baked potatoes on.   20 more minutes & done. Rounded out the meal with some corn on the cob chunks.  I did cover the pizza version with foil, but removed when I added the potatoes. Shoulda left uncovered for only 10 minutes, not 20, to achieve a more pleasing cheese color (ended up too dark).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

einrej

• WKC Ranger
Re: Variety is the spice of Meatloaf life
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 02:20:55 AM »
Looks great, a Meatloaf Marathon. Which one was voted best?
Family, 1954-55 Weber Bros Metal Works Kettle,
1979 A-code Redhead 22, 1983 E-code Black 22, & a Rowley Miracle Fire Maker

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 05:59:55 AM »

Looks great, a Meatloaf Marathon. Which one was voted best?
Would have to say it's the giardiniera, since there is only have one slice left.

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 07:31:55 AM »
Nice meal!  Awesome cook!  Like the Giardiniera.  Good choice.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 04:17:41 PM »
OHHHHH

MMMMMM

GGGGGGG!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 02:15:57 PM »
Man those all look fantastic! I like to cook my meatloaf NOT in a pan for maximum smoke. I like to spay a loaf pan with cooking spray and pack the loaf into the pan, let it set in the fridge for an hour, then gently dump the loaf directly onto the grill. It won't hold topping like yours but the smoke penetration is killer.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 06:03:37 PM »

Man those all look fantastic! I like to cook my meatloaf NOT in a pan for maximum smoke. I like to spay a loaf pan with cooking spray and pack the loaf into the pan, let it set in the fridge for an hour, then gently dump the loaf directly onto the grill. It won't hold topping like yours but the smoke penetration is killer.
I actually thought about doing it that way. However, I wanted the toppings to mix with the meat juices in the pan so those flavors penetrated into the loaf more.
Ended up with the perfect balance of smoke, meat flavor & topping flavor on the giardiniera & salsa loaves. Side note: I will be smoking giardiniera in the future. Turns it from delicious into climax inducing awesomeness.

I don't normally eat the barbecue, but i tried this time. It would've benefitted from no pan for sure. The pizza would be better with no pan & mixing in Hot Italian sausage(@25%?) as well.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 07:20:05 AM »
Which one had bacon?   LOL
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 11:15:33 PM »

Hagahaha

Nice looking cook, nice to see something unique cooked on a kettle

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 10:43:16 AM »

No bacon wrapped. I took a page right outta your playbook.  I started mainlining it now. I've found that applewood smoked & hickory smoked offer different highs.

@MikeRocksTheRed is to bacon, as Snoop Dogg is to weed.